How to Draw a Bode Plot Without a School Book

H(jw).In summary, drawing a bode plot involves finding the asymptotes and the effects of zeros and poles, which can usually be found in the first chapter of a controls textbook. The transfer function is typically given in terms of s, but for frequency response, it is only necessary to look at the situation where sigma is zero and frequency is imaginary.
cleopatra

Homework Statement

How do you draw a bode plot?
I have a simple equation: H(S)=s+10 but no school book. Can you teach me?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a tutorial?
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/elessonsHTML/Freq/Freq5.html

When you're drawing by hand, usually only the asymptotes are required; the effects of zeros, poles, higher ordered zeros and poles, and most of the simple cases are usually tabulated in the first chapter of any controls textbook.

EDIT: Summary for drawing asymptotic transfer functions (agrees with what I remember):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot#Rules_for_hand-made_Bode_plot

EDIT: This post might've been better in the EE or Engineering homework subforum.

EDIT: Thought I recognized the username... Since you asked a MATLAB question, you may also want to look in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=303967

Last edited:
I don´t have any poles and no zeros either.
So what do I do then? Or do I have one zero? = -10 ?

But I really don´t understand those webpages because they all have jw sth..

Yes, there's one zero. I'm not sure how far along you are in your complex math or controls course, but s is the 'generic' frequency [tex]s=\sigma+j\omega[/tex]. If you're finding the frequency response (as you are in a Bode plot) you're only concerned with the situation where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is zero and frequency is imaginary (i.e. sinusoidal). That's why some of the previously-linked resources use [tex]j\omega[/tex] instead of s (even though the transfer function is given in terms of s)

Put another way, if your transfer function is called H(s), you're finding |H(jw)| (the magnitude of the frequency response) and the phase

Related to How to Draw a Bode Plot Without a School Book

1. How do I draw a Bode plot without a school book?

To draw a Bode plot without a school book, you will need to have a basic understanding of logarithms and how to plot them on a graph. You will also need to have access to a graphing calculator or software that can plot Bode plots. You can also find tutorials and guides online to help you understand the process.

2. What is a Bode plot and why is it important?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows how a system responds to different frequency inputs. Bode plots are important in engineering and physics as they help us understand the behavior of a system and design filters and controllers for it.

3. Can I draw a Bode plot by hand?

Yes, you can draw a Bode plot by hand if you have the necessary skills and knowledge. However, it is recommended to use a graphing calculator or software as it is more accurate and efficient. If you do choose to draw it by hand, make sure to use logarithmic graph paper and carefully plot the points.

4. What are the steps to draw a Bode plot without a school book?

The steps to draw a Bode plot without a school book are as follows:

1. Determine the transfer function of the system.

2. Convert the transfer function into its frequency domain form.

3. Plot the magnitude and phase response of the transfer function on a logarithmic scale.

4. Determine the cutoff frequencies and plot them on the graph.

5. Connect the points on the graph to form the Bode plot.

5. Are there any tips for drawing a Bode plot without a school book?

Yes, here are some tips for drawing a Bode plot without a school book:

- Make sure to use logarithmic scales for both the horizontal and vertical axes.

- Plot the magnitude and phase response separately on different graphs.

- Use a different color or style for the cutoff frequencies to make them stand out.

- Double-check your calculations and plot points to avoid errors.