How to Display \pi in Text Format

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a dislike for how the symbol "pi" is displayed in text, compared to the LaTex version. It is noted that the appearance of pi depends on the font being used. The possibility of changing the default font for forum posts is also mentioned.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Minor beef here, but I'm not too fond of how "pi" is displayed within text: π just looks like 3 sides of a square, not how I'm used to seeing it.

Is there a way to get the text version to look like the LaTex version:
[itex]\pi[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
Minor beef here, but I'm not too fond of how "pi" is displayed within text: π just looks like 3 sides of a square, not how I'm used to seeing it.
That's because that's how pi looks in the font you're using. It will look different in a different font. For example, π looks pretty nice in Times New Roman

Hurkyl said:
For example, π looks pretty nice in Times New Roman

Ah, thanks :approve:

Is there a way to change the default display font of a forum? I mean, for the posts I view?

Related to How to Display \pi in Text Format

1. What is the symbol for pi?

The symbol for pi is π.

2. How do I type pi on my keyboard?

On most keyboards, you can type pi by pressing the Alt key and then typing 227 on the numeric keypad. This will produce the symbol π.

3. Can I write pi as a fraction?

Yes, pi can be written as a fraction. The fraction form of pi is 22/7, or approximately 3.14.

4. How many digits of pi should I include in my text?

The number of digits of pi you include in your text depends on the context and purpose of your writing. Generally, including 3-4 decimal places (3.1415) is sufficient for most applications.

5. Can I use pi in a text document or online?

Yes, pi can be used in any text document or online as it is a standard symbol in the English alphabet. However, if you want to display pi as a symbol (π) rather than a numerical value, you may need to use a special character or symbol function in your document or online platform.