How to devise moment of inertia formula of solid sphere?

In summary: This is incorrect. The correct formula for the moment of inertia of a solid sphere about its central axis is I=2/5 MR2. This means that the moment of inertia is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the radius of the sphere. Your calculation is incorrect because you are adding an extra factor of r2. In summary, the moment of inertia of a solid sphere about its central axis is given by I=2/5 MR2, where M is the mass of the sphere and R is its radius. The error in your calculation is due to an extra factor of r2.
imadrea

Homework Statement

how to divide moment of inertia of solid sphere about its central axis?. Solid sphere has radius R, mass M.

Homework Equations

I=∫r2dm
2/5 MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPoXyad0q1Y3yisc0LeeJHGApkIrGbitK6kAk5p
i try to imagine that solid sphere is a group of infinite disk. a disk have volume dv=πr2dx.
dm=ρdv=πρr2dx.
I=R-Rr2πρr2dx
I=πρR-Rr4dx
I=πρR-R(R2-x2)2dx
I=πρR-RR4-2R2x2+x4dx
I=πρ[2R5-4/3R5+2/5R5]
!=πρR5[30-20+6]/15
I=16/15 πρR5
I=4/5 (4/3πρR3)R2
I=4/5MR2

where my eror? i have spent 2 days to solve it but i am failed until now.

Attachments

• gambar bola.PNG
    gambar bola.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first integral, you introduce an extra factor r2. I assume this is related to the moment of inertia of a disk about its axis. Have you forgotten something there?

Likes imadrea
I assume this is related to the moment of inertia of a disk about its axis. Have you forgotten something there?
i think this is just subtitution for dm=ρπr2dx. I'm confused

imadrea said:
i think this is just subtitution for dm=ρπr2dx. I'm confused
No, in the next line you have another r2 factor.

Related to How to devise moment of inertia formula of solid sphere?

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important in physics?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating.

2. How is the moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere derived?

The moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere is derived using calculus and the definition of moment of inertia, which is the sum of the product of mass and distance squared from the axis of rotation. The derivation involves dividing the sphere into infinitesimally thin discs and integrating their individual moments of inertia.

3. Can the moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere be applied to other shapes?

No, the moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere can only be applied to spherical objects. Different shapes have different moments of inertia formulas that take into account their unique mass distribution.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere change with respect to its mass and radius?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is directly proportional to its mass and radius squared. This means that as the mass or radius of the sphere increases, the moment of inertia also increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of the moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia formula for a solid sphere is used in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the rotational properties of objects like wheels, flywheels, and planets. It is also used in designing structures to ensure stability and in predicting the behavior of rotating systems.