How to determine whether there is a reaction?

• Thread starter DrOnline
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about reactions in water and the attempt at finding the correct answer. The question asks for a balanced reaction equation and the significance of water in the reactions. The conversation also touches on the importance of water in chemical reactions and making connections between different experiences and knowledge.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

Which of the following combinations (in water) causes a reaction? Write a balanced reaction equation for the cases that cause reaction:

CU2+ + H2(g)

Fe2+ + AG

Fe3+ + Sn2+

etc...

Homework Equations

Not applicable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched quite a bit, but every youtube video I find, and every site I find, explain how to analyze which TYPE of reaction we're dealing with, based on knowing both the reactants and the products.

My task doesn't reveal the product. I need to figure that out. And that's what I need help with.

A: These elements will synthesize if one is an anion and the other is a cation. I count up the charges and balance the equation accordingly. Is this correct? Is that all there is to it?

B: What is the significance of the water, and why is the water not in the list of reactants?

I've been reading http://misterguch.brinkster.net/6typesofchemicalrxn.html, but it doesn't explain how to figure out what products are formed.

Help would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are some reactions (in solution) that you know about?
Compare.

A. that is pretty much correct.
B. well Cu is normally a solid - the fact you are told that it is in a solution tells you something about what form it takes. How do things dissolve in water? Why do some things dissolve and not others?
In your experience of chemistry so far, how has the presence of the water been important to the reactions you have done with chemical solutions?

This exercise is about making links between different experiences and knowledge. People won't always tell you an exact process to solve each particular problem - you are supposed to make the connections.

Looks to me like a typical question on reactivity series.

Related to How to determine whether there is a reaction?

1. How do you know if a reaction has occurred?

A reaction can be determined by observing changes in physical or chemical properties, such as color, temperature, gas production, or formation of a precipitate. Another way is to measure the reactants and products using analytical techniques.

2. What is the role of a catalyst in a reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process. It works by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it easier for the reactants to bond and form products.

3. How can you tell if a reaction is exothermic or endothermic?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy, resulting in an increase in temperature. On the other hand, an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy, causing a decrease in temperature. This can be observed by using a thermometer or by feeling the temperature change.

4. What is the importance of balancing chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it ensures the law of conservation of mass is followed. This means that the number of atoms of each element present in the reactants must be equal to the number of atoms of that element in the products.

5. How do you determine the rate of a reaction?

The rate of a reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer, pH meter, or titration. The rate of a reaction can also be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration, and presence of a catalyst.