How to Determine the Range of r for a Non-Sliding Mass on a Rotating Turntable?

In summary, if you have a block of mass attached to a rotating table and you want to find the point at which the block doesn't slip, you need to find the tension in the string that's pulling it, and then subtract that from the mass. The maximum or minimum value of r at which this tension is zero is the answer.
Cliff Bryant
problem.png

Problem:
"Two blocks of equal masses m are attached by an ideal string. One mass lies at radial distance r from the center of a horizontal turntable rotating with constant angular speed of 6 rad/s, while the second hangs from the string inside the hollow spindle of the turntable.The coefficient of static friction between the surface of the turntable and the mass lying on it is 0.5. Find the maximum and minimum values of r such that the mass lying on the turntable does not slide."

My initial idea was
Tm - (Ffriction + Fcentrifugal) = 0
and then I would get the zeroes of the function, but it feels like I'm really wrong about this. Can anyone explain how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cliff, welcome to PF :smile: !

Please do use the template. It helps you to be complete in your post. Also, in PF its use is mandatory (guidelines) so the good spirits that watch over us will chastize you if you don't.

In this case I have no idea what you mean with ##T_m##.

Write a force balance for the mass on the table that results in it following a circular trajectory. You only have to worry about the radial part of the forces. One of the forces comes from the wire. That one you can find from a force balance for the mass hanging from the thread.

BvU said:
Hello Cliff, welcome to PF :smile: !

Please do use the template. It helps you to be complete in your post. Also, in PF its use is mandatory (guidelines) so the good spirits that watch over us will chastize you if you don't.

In this case I have no idea what you mean with ##T_m##.

Write a force balance for the mass on the table that results in it following a circular trajectory. You only have to worry about the radial part of the forces. One of the forces comes from the wire. That one you can find from a force balance for the mass hanging from the thread.

Sorry, I was getting desperate. :cry:
Anyway, thank you for the reminder.

Sorry for the mistake, and I'll make it clear this time.

Homework Statement

Problem: (stated above)

Variables:
r = radial distance of the block above the turntable to the turntable's center
m = mass of the block

Tm = tension of the string pulling the block (on the turntable)

Given:
μ (static friction) = 0.5
angular speed = 6 rad/s

Homework Equations

ac = v2 / r
Fc = mv2 / r
Ffriction = μmg

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is that, to prevent slipping, the net forces acting on the block (or being the block on the origin of the free-body diagram) should be zero.
Tm - (Ffriction + Fc) = 0
mg - ( μmg + mv2 / r ) = 0
[ mg ( 1 - μ ) ] + mv2 / r = 0
r = v2 / [g ( 1 - μ )]

Then I would substitute the values.

Cliff Bryant said:
Sorry, I was getting desperate. :cry:
Anyway, thank you for the reminder.

Sorry for the mistake, and I'll make it clear this time.

Homework Statement

Problem: (stated above)

Variables:
r = radial distance of the block above the turntable to the turntable's center
m = mass of the block

Tm = tension of the string pulling the block (on the turntable)

Given:
μ (static friction) = 0.5
angular speed = 6 rad/s

Homework Equations

ac = v2 / r
Fc = mv2 / r
Ffriction = μmg

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is that, to prevent slipping, the net forces acting on the block (or being the block on the origin of the free-body diagram) should be zero.
Tm - (Ffriction + Fc) = 0
mg - ( μmg + mv2 / r ) = 0
[ mg ( 1 - μ ) ] + mv2 / r = 0
r = v2 / [g ( 1 - μ )]

Then I would substitute the values.

This looks like a tricky problem. Your equation is going to give you a single value for r. Is that correct? Hint: perhaps think a little more about the frictional force.

Which value of r do you think you have calculated? The maximum or minimum?

Here's what I would do first:

a) Consider the problem where the table is not rotating. What happens?

b) Conside the problem where there is no hanging mass, but the table is rotating. What happens?

Last edited:

Related to How to Determine the Range of r for a Non-Sliding Mass on a Rotating Turntable?

1. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point. In linear motion, the distance traveled and the displacement are the same, while in rotational motion, the angle and angular displacement are used to measure the motion.

2. How do forces affect rotational motion?

Forces can cause rotational motion by creating a torque, which is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation, all play a role in determining the resulting rotational motion.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, keeping an object moving in a circular path. On the other hand, centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act in the opposite direction of centripetal force, pushing an object away from the center of a circular motion. It is actually the result of inertia, the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion.

4. How is rotational motion related to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is the tendency of a rotating object to continue rotating at a constant speed. It is directly proportional to the angular velocity and the moment of inertia of the object. As rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis, it is closely related to the concept of angular momentum.

5. Can an object have both translational and rotational motion at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both translational and rotational motion at the same time. This is known as rolling motion, where an object is simultaneously moving in a straight line and rotating around an axis. An example of this is a rolling ball.