How to determine the pressure when you dont have the volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with converting units and using the equation ##p1V1 = p2V2 ## to solve it. The individual is initially unsure of how to use this equation without knowing V2, but eventually realizes that the ratio between the volumes can be used instead. The solution involves finding p2 and T2 using this ratio.
arhzz
Homework Statement
150ml of air under a pressure of 1013hPa are sucked into a bicycle pump by pulling out the piston. The opening of the pump is then sealed airtight with a stopper. Now push the plunger in halfway, then further in up to 3/4.
a) How great is the pressure if the temperature remains the same?
b) In the case of an isobaric implementation - how far would the temperature change compared to the initial temperature?
Relevant Equations
p1V1 = p2V2
Hello! I am having trouble with this problem I found online,it was listed under the "easy" category yet I am somehow not seeing the trick.

First I converted the V into m^3 so that V = 0,015 m^3,than I converted the hPa into Pa so p = 101300 Pa and now I used the fact that ##p1V1 = p2V2 ## We can get p2 out of this equation. $$ p2 = \frac{p1V1}{V2} $$ Now the problem is I don't have V2; I am pretty much certain the problem has/can be solved this way but I'm kind of not getting it.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there.

arhzz said:
Now push the plunger in halfway, then further in up to 3/4.

Can we not just use this ratio of the volumes without knowing the exact numbers? That is, we are told that we first push the plunger in half the way, which suggests that we now have a volume ## \frac{1}{2} V_1 ##. Then we push it into 3/4, so we have ## \frac{1}{4} V ## left?

I hope that is of some help.

Likes hmmm27
Yea I've actually figured it out just this morning.The question was really simple but I was too tired to think straight and after a good night sleep I solved it without issue. Here is the solution;

a) $$ p2 = \frac{p1V1}{1/2V1} $$ p2 should come out to ## p2 = 2p1 ## and for 3/4 ## p2 = 4pi ##

b) The same trick just with the temperature just that the relationship is diffrent $$ \frac{V1}{T1} = \frac{V2}{T2}$$ for 1/2 T2 should be ## T2 = 1/2 T1 ## and for 3/4 ## T2 = 1/4 T1 ##

Still thank you for your help!

Likes Delta2

Related to How to determine the pressure when you dont have the volume

1. How do you calculate pressure without knowing the volume?

The pressure can be determined using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure (P) is equal to the number of moles (n) of gas, multiplied by the gas constant (R), and the temperature (T) in Kelvin, divided by the volume (V). The equation is written as P = (nRT)/V.

2. Can pressure be measured without knowing the volume?

Yes, pressure can be measured without knowing the volume. This can be done by using a pressure gauge or manometer, which measures the force exerted by the gas on a unit area. However, in order to calculate the pressure using the ideal gas law, the volume must be known.

3. What other factors can affect pressure if the volume is unknown?

In addition to volume, temperature and the number of moles of gas can also affect the pressure. As temperature increases, the pressure of a gas will also increase, assuming the volume and number of moles remain constant. Similarly, an increase in the number of moles of gas will result in an increase in pressure, assuming temperature and volume are constant.

4. Is it possible to determine the pressure of a gas without knowing the volume and temperature?

No, it is not possible to determine the pressure of a gas without knowing the volume and temperature. The ideal gas law requires all four variables (pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles) to be known in order to calculate the pressure.

5. Can pressure be calculated if only the volume and temperature are known?

Yes, pressure can be calculated if only the volume and temperature are known. This can be done using the combined gas law, which is a variation of the ideal gas law that allows for the calculation of pressure when only two variables are known. The equation is written as P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2.