How to determine the maximum bending moment of a beam

In summary: Start at one end, and work your way towards the other end.In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum moment and deflection of a simply supported beam with a uniformly distributed load over only a portion of the beam. The person has attempted to solve the problem using a cut at the center, but the equations used are only valid for a uniform load across the entire beam. The expert recommends going back to first principles and constructing a shear and bending moment diagram to solve for the reactions at the ends.
harvistar
I have a 1.5m beam with a uniformly distributed load of 57kn/m acting over 1.2m of the beam (0.6m from the centre of the beam in both directions). I require the maximum moment and the deflection of the beam.

I know the maximum moment equation wl^2/8 and the deflection formula 5wl^4/384EI.

I have done this so far:

Take a cut at the centre:

(sum of the moments @ the cut) = 57*0.6m*0.6m/2 - Va(0.75m) => Va = 13.68

Va = Vb = 13.68kN

57 x 1.2 x 0.6 = 41.04 which does not equate to 27.36 (sum of the forces must cancel)

However, oddly enough 13.68 x 3 = 41.04kN

I am not sure where or how I am going wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
harvistar said:
I have a 1.5m beam with a uniformly distributed load of 57kn/m acting over 1.2m of the beam (0.6m from the centre of the beam in both directions). I require the maximum moment and the deflection of the beam.

I know the maximum moment equation wl^2/8 and the deflection formula 5wl^4/384EI.

I have done this so far:

Take a cut at the centre:

(sum of the moments @ the cut) = 57*0.6m*0.6m/2 - Va(0.75m) => Va = 13.68

Va = Vb = 13.68kN

57 x 1.2 x 0.6 = 41.04 which does not equate to 27.36 (sum of the forces must cancel)

However, oddly enough 13.68 x 3 = 41.04kN

I am not sure where or how I am going wrong?

Any help is appreciated.
When you take a cut section at the simply supported beam mid point, you must include the bending moment that exists at that cut. Better to solve for the end reactions first by summing moments about one end then you can calculate the moment at mid point. Note also that your equations for max M and deflection are for a uniform load across the entire beam, which does not apply here.

Welcome to PF!

Last edited:
Your formulas for max. BM and max. deflection are valid only if the beam is simply supported at both ends AND the load is distributed along the entire length of the beam.

In your case, I would recommend that you go back to first principles and construct a shear and bending moment diagram for your beam, after first solving for the reactions at the ends. BTW, I don't understand why you are cutting the beam in the center.

Related to How to determine the maximum bending moment of a beam

1. What is the formula for determining the maximum bending moment of a beam?

The formula for determining the maximum bending moment of a beam is M = WL/4, where M is the maximum bending moment, W is the applied load, and L is the length of the beam.

2. How do you calculate the maximum bending moment for a cantilever beam?

To calculate the maximum bending moment for a cantilever beam, you can use the formula M = Wl, where M is the maximum bending moment, W is the applied load, and l is the distance from the fixed support to the point of interest.

3. What factors affect the maximum bending moment of a beam?

The maximum bending moment of a beam is affected by several factors, including the applied load, the length of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions.

4. How can I determine the maximum bending moment for a beam with a distributed load?

To determine the maximum bending moment for a beam with a distributed load, you can use the formula M = (wL^2)/8, where M is the maximum bending moment, w is the distributed load, and L is the length of the beam.

5. Why is it important to determine the maximum bending moment of a beam?

Determining the maximum bending moment of a beam is important because it helps engineers and designers ensure that the beam is strong enough to support the applied loads and will not fail or deform under stress. This information is crucial in the design and construction of safe and structurally sound buildings and structures.