How to Determine the Mass of Bananas Using a Spring Scale

In summary, the problem involves a bunch of bananas being set on a spring scale to measure weight. The vertical oscillatory motion of the bananas has an amplitude of 0.14 m and a maximum speed of 2 m/s. Using Hooke's Law and the period formula for a spring, we can determine the mass of the bananas by setting up an equation for the maximum velocity and solving for mass. This results in the formula Vmax = xMax * sqrt (k/mass), which can be used to solve for the mass of the bananas.
Boxlife27

Homework Statement

At an outdoor market, a bunch of bananas is
set on a spring scale to measure the weight.
The spring sets the full bunch of bananas into
vertical oscillatory motion, which is harmonic
with an amplitude 0.14 m. The maximum
speed of the bananas is observed to be 2 m/s.
What is the mass of the bananas? The
spring of the scale has a force constant
523 N/m.

Homework Equations

The equations I have learned are Hooke's Law (-kx=F) and period of a spring = T = 2pi sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve this problem, but I'm not sure how I can use the amplitude and velocity to determine the period, which I would then use to find mass. THANK YOU

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Boxlife27 said:

Homework Statement

At an outdoor market, a bunch of bananas is
set on a spring scale to measure the weight.
The spring sets the full bunch of bananas into
vertical oscillatory motion, which is harmonic
with an amplitude 0.14 m. The maximum
speed of the bananas is observed to be 2 m/s.
What is the mass of the bananas? The
spring of the scale has a force constant
523 N/m.

Homework Equations

The equations I have learned are Hooke's Law (-kx=F) and period of a spring = T = 2pi sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve this problem, but I'm not sure how I can use the amplitude and velocity to determine the period, which I would then use to find mass. THANK YOU
Start by writing an expression for the vertical position of the bananas as a function of time. Let A = the amplitude.

Thanks. So, f(t) = (2m/s) (.14) to find the time? Something like this?

Boxlife27 said:
Thanks. So, f(t) = (2m/s) (.14) to find the time? Something like this?

No.

f(t) is sinusoidal.

You don't know the amplitude at this point, so call it A or something.

Sorry, I'm only a soph in high school, barely taken trigonometry. Would you explain this a bit more, please? Thank you

Boxlife27 said:

Homework Equations

What about the formulas for the maximum velocity and acceleration in simple harmonic motion, given the amplitude and the frequency? (You don't need the acceleration formula, for this question).

Sammy S is trying to get you to derive those formulas yourself using trig, but they are probably in your textbook.

Thank you both. Would I use the equation
Vmax = xMax * sqrt (k/mass)?

Yes! I just entered the answer and it is correct. Thank you both.

Boxlife27 said:
Yes! I just entered the answer and it is correct. Thank you both.
Yup!

Good !

Related to How to Determine the Mass of Bananas Using a Spring Scale

What is a banana spring scale?

A banana spring scale is a tool commonly used in physics experiments to measure weight or force. It consists of a spring attached to a hook on one end and a pointer on the other. When weight is applied to the hook, the spring stretches and the pointer moves along a scale to indicate the force applied.

How does a banana spring scale work?

The spring inside the banana spring scale follows Hooke's law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is extended or compressed. This means that as more weight is applied to the hook, the spring stretches more and the pointer moves along the scale to show the increase in force.

What are the advantages of using a banana spring scale?

Banana spring scales are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. They are also highly accurate and can measure both small and large amounts of force. Additionally, they do not require any additional power source to function.

Can a banana spring scale be used for measuring weight?

Yes, a banana spring scale can be used to measure weight. Since weight is a type of force, the scale can be calibrated to show weight in units of mass, such as grams or kilograms.

How do you calibrate a banana spring scale?

To calibrate a banana spring scale, you will need a known weight, such as a standard weight or a mass balance, and adjust the scale until the pointer reads the correct value for that weight. This will ensure that the scale is accurate for future measurements.