How to determine the force absorbed by an object in a collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force and energy in a physics reaction in a game engine. The speakers mention the use of vectors and mass to determine impulse and movement, but the main focus is on understanding how different restitution coefficients affect the force and energy lost during a collision between objects.
ExcessRed
I'm working on a physics reaction in a simple game engine, and I need to retain the amount of force absorbed by an object.

The collisions and their responses are based on vectors.

I have the objects respective masses, their speed vectors, from which I can determine the impulse and the new movement vectors.

But I need to know ... what effects how much force is lost during the collision when two objects with DIFFERENT restitution coefficients collide?

What I mean is, if two objects have different restitution co-efficients, how is the net restitution determined?

Also, based on those different restitution co-efficients, is it possible to determine how much energy is lost by each respective object?

...sorry if this is the wrong section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force=dp/dt
change in momentum divided by the impact time .

Related to How to determine the force absorbed by an object in a collision?

1. How is force absorbed by an object in a collision measured?

The force absorbed by an object in a collision is measured using the principle of Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration. In a collision, the force absorbed by the object can be determined by measuring the change in its velocity and mass.

2. What factors affect the force absorbed by an object in a collision?

Several factors can affect the force absorbed by an object in a collision, including the mass and velocity of the object, the duration of the collision, and the type of material the object is made of. The angle and direction of the collision can also impact the force absorbed.

3. Can the force absorbed by an object in a collision be greater than the initial force?

Yes, the force absorbed by an object in a collision can be greater than the initial force. This is because during a collision, the force is being applied over a shorter period of time, resulting in a higher force being absorbed by the object.

4. How does the elasticity of an object affect the force absorbed in a collision?

The elasticity of an object refers to its ability to deform and return to its original shape after a collision. In general, more elastic objects are able to absorb more force in a collision compared to less elastic objects. This is because they can stretch and then return to their original shape, reducing the impact of the collision.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the force absorbed by an object in a collision?

Apart from using Newton's Second Law, there are other methods for determining the force absorbed by an object in a collision. These include using sensors and measuring devices such as accelerometers and strain gauges, as well as computer simulations and mathematical models.