How to determine the diameter of a cable

In summary, the cable must have a yield strength of 620 MPa and a safety factor of 3 to support 5 buckets, each carrying 5,429.554 kg. The total weight that the cable must support is 27,147.77 kg. Using the stress and area formula, the diameter of the cable is calculated to be 40.497 mm. However, this design may not be the most efficient and practical due to the varying load distribution and attachment of the buckets.
packersfan851
A Cable that has a yield strength of 620 MPa and a safety factor of 3. This cable must be able to support 5 buckets which must be able to carry up 5,429.554 kg each.
Bucket mass is negligible.

Stress = Mass/Area
Area = force/stress

My attempt at a solution:
Total weight 5 buckets must carry = 5,429.554 kg * 5 = 27147.77 kg

Area = 27147.77kg * 9.8ms^2 / 206.667MPa x 10^6
Area = .00128

.00128 = ∏d^2 / 4
.00164 = d^2
.040496m = d
or 40.497mm

I know this is probably all wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me, your method at least, I don't have a calculator right now to check your numbers.

Calculation looks ok as well.

Wouldn't this methodology be a bit wasteful design wise? In addition to utilizing a specified factor of safety the loading is then taken to be occurring in one specific point as a combined whole when in reality the buckets are five distinct and spaced point loads?

I guess you are right. You could use a different diameter for each section of rope. eg getting thicker as you go up and the load increases. Not clear if that would reduce cost though. In practice the joints and method of attaching the buckets would complicate the issue.

Related to How to determine the diameter of a cable

1. How do you measure the diameter of a cable?

To determine the diameter of a cable, you will need a caliper or a ruler. Use the caliper or ruler to measure the widest part of the cable, which is usually the outermost layer. Make sure to measure in millimeters for accuracy.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for cable diameter?

The standard unit of measurement for cable diameter is millimeters (mm). Some manufacturers may also use inches (in) or centimeters (cm) as measurements, but millimeters are the most commonly used unit.

3. Can I use a regular ruler to measure the diameter of a cable?

While it is possible to use a regular ruler to measure the diameter of a cable, it may not be as accurate as using a caliper. A caliper allows for more precise measurements and is specifically designed for measuring small objects like cables.

4. Are there any online tools available to measure cable diameter?

Yes, there are various online tools and calculators available that can help you determine the diameter of a cable. These tools usually require you to input the cable's specifications, such as the number of conductors and their gauge, to calculate the diameter.

5. Why is it important to know the diameter of a cable?

Knowing the diameter of a cable is crucial for various reasons. It helps in determining the cable's maximum load capacity, choosing the appropriate connectors and fittings, and ensuring proper installation. It also allows for easier identification and organization of cables in a network or system.