How to determine the coupling parameters in SM or beyond SM?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of coupling parameters in different theories and how they can be determined either through experimental measurements or theoretical calculations. The value of the coupling parameter is typically a free parameter in fundamental theories, but can sometimes be deduced from theoretical arguments in non-fundamental theories. The example of QED and the 4-Fermi effective theory are discussed as illustrations of this concept.
yancey
Dear everyone,
For example, the simplest action for a nonminimally coupled scalar field is
[tex]
S=\int d^{4}x\sqrt{-g}\left[ \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu \nu }\partial _{\mu }\phi
\partial _{\nu }\phi -V(\phi )+\frac{\xi }{2}R\phi ^{2}\right].
[/tex]
[itex]\xi=0[/itex] leads to the scalar field minimally coupled to the gravity; [itex]\xi=\frac{1}{6},V=0[/itex] leads to a theory which is invariant under conformal transformations
[tex]
\widetilde{g}_{\mu\nu}={\Omega}^{2}(x)g_{\mu\nu}.
[/tex]
So the coupling parameter ξ is free, are there any constraints on it? How to get these constraints if they exist?
The same thing happens to a genaral vector field case [itex]{\xi}RA_{\mu}A^{\mu}.[/itex]
In QED, the coupling constant characterize the interaction between the pin-1/2 field and the electromagnetic field is the electric charge of the bi-spinor field, how dose people determine this constant? by theoretical prediction or by experimental measurements?

How does the constraints on the form of the Lagrangian leads to constraints on coupling parameters?
Any documents can resolve my confusion will be welcome.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the theory you are considering. In general (at least as far as I know) if you have a fundamental theory (say QED) the couplings of the theory are free parameters and therefore they must be experimentally measured. Consider, for example, QED and suppose that we still don't know what the value of the electric charge, i.e. of the coupling, is. What you could do is, starting from your theoretical Lagrangian, compute the cross section for a certain process, e.g. compton scattering. This cross section will be a function of the electric charge. Then, measuring the value of the cross section with a suitable experiment you can fit the value of e.

However, if the theory is not fundamental, you can sometimes deduce the value of the coupling directly from theoretical arguments. Right now I have in my mind the 4-Fermi effective theory. The coupling for that Lagrangian is given by the Fermi coupling, ##G_F##. However, since this is just a low energy expansion of the complete electro-weak theory (when your energy scale is much lower that the mass of the W boson) one can show that the coupling is actually given by:

$$G_F=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}\frac{g_W^2}{M_W^2},$$

where ##g_W## is the weak coupling constant and ##M_W## is the mass of the W boson. So, in principle, if these quantities are know you can theoretically compute the value of ##G_F##. Of course, now the problem is simply shifted to the determination of the electro-weak coupling constant (which is the coupling of a fundamental theory, i.e. a free parameter).I hope I didn't write anything wrong and I hope this is useful.
Cheers

Likes yancey
Einj said:
It depends on the theory you are considering. In general (at least as far as I know) if you have a fundamental theory (say QED) the couplings of the theory are free parameters and therefore they must be experimentally measured. Consider, for example, QED and suppose that we still don't know what the value of the electric charge, i.e. of the coupling, is. What you could do is, starting from your theoretical Lagrangian, compute the cross section for a certain process, e.g. compton scattering. This cross section will be a function of the electric charge. Then, measuring the value of the cross section with a suitable experiment you can fit the value of e.

However, if the theory is not fundamental, you can sometimes deduce the value of the coupling directly from theoretical arguments. Right now I have in my mind the 4-Fermi effective theory. The coupling for that Lagrangian is given by the Fermi coupling, ##G_F##. However, since this is just a low energy expansion of the complete electro-weak theory (when your energy scale is much lower that the mass of the W boson) one can show that the coupling is actually given by:

$$G_F=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}\frac{g_W^2}{M_W^2},$$

where ##g_W## is the weak coupling constant and ##M_W## is the mass of the W boson. So, in principle, if these quantities are know you can theoretically compute the value of ##G_F##. Of course, now the problem is simply shifted to the determination of the electro-weak coupling constant (which is the coupling of a fundamental theory, i.e. a free parameter).I hope I didn't write anything wrong and I hope this is useful.
Cheers
Thank you, Einj. You explained my confusion clearly!

Related to How to determine the coupling parameters in SM or beyond SM?

1. What is the Standard Model (SM) and why are coupling parameters important?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. Coupling parameters, also known as coupling constants, are crucial in the Standard Model as they determine the strength of interactions between different particles.

2. How are coupling parameters determined experimentally in the Standard Model?

Coupling parameters in the Standard Model are determined through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental measurements. Particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), are used to produce and study particle interactions to determine the strength of coupling parameters.

3. What are the main challenges in determining coupling parameters beyond the Standard Model?

One of the main challenges in determining coupling parameters beyond the Standard Model is the lack of experimental data. The energy required to produce and study particles beyond the Standard Model is often much higher than what is currently achievable in particle colliders. This makes it difficult to directly measure and determine the strength of these coupling parameters.

4. Can coupling parameters be predicted using theoretical models?

Yes, coupling parameters can be predicted using theoretical models. These models often rely on symmetries and mathematical equations to predict the values of coupling parameters. However, these predictions must still be tested and verified through experimental data.

5. How do scientists search for new coupling parameters beyond the Standard Model?

Scientists search for new coupling parameters beyond the Standard Model by looking for deviations from the predictions of the Standard Model. This can be done by analyzing data from particle collider experiments or through astrophysical observations. If there is a significant discrepancy between the predicted and observed values, it could indicate the presence of new coupling parameters or interactions.