How to Determine Relative Velocity Using Vector Subtraction

In summary, Peter G. found that Answer A is the correct answer, although he initially thought it was Answer B.
Peter G.
Two objects X and Y are moving away from Point P. The diagram I linked shows it.

It then asks us: Which of the following velocity vectors represent the velocity of X relative to Y.

The answer is B, but the same book told me in another part that we should subtract vectors to get the relative velocity, so: Vector X, east, + (-vector north) = east + south vectors, which would give me Answer A. I am confused, can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 744
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the velocity of P relative to Y?

- Velocity Y?

Peter G. said:
- Velocity Y?

So, you have the velocity of P relative to Y, and the velocity of X relative to P. That should lead you to the velocity of X relative to Y. Hmm ... that does look like VX + -VY

Alternatively: What is the displacement of X relative to Y ?

Added in Edit: Oh! I see. You're right, the answer is A, not B. (That's the answer I was getting all along. I have no Idea how they got B !)

Yeah, I might have copied the answer from the board incorrectly, because when I drew it, I always got this: (Attachment called Answer)

And, if you don't mind, just another quick doubt: An observer sees a bird flying at 10 m/s east. A second observer, driving a car along the road at 20 m/s in a north direction sees the bird. What is the velocity of the bird relative to the driver?

I get the magnitude correct, but they answer the direction as an angle of 26.5 degrees, and I am unsure of what angle that actually is, can you check to see if it is the one I'm showing in my diagram? I thought they would give the answer as a bearing, since, so far, this it was conventional as an answer for me, but I might have done it wrong.

Thanks once again

Attachments

• Answer.jpg
    Answer.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 580
  • Second Attachment.jpg
    Second Attachment.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 503
You are correct with the angle.
Tan O = opp/adj
O = Inv tan 10/20
O = 26.6

Sorry for the poor lettering hope this makes sense.

Related to How to Determine Relative Velocity Using Vector Subtraction

1. What is a relative velocity diagram?

A relative velocity diagram is a graphical representation used to analyze the motion of two objects relative to each other. It shows the velocities of the two objects and the relative velocity between them.

2. How is a relative velocity diagram different from a regular velocity diagram?

A regular velocity diagram shows the individual velocities of objects, while a relative velocity diagram shows the relative velocity between two objects. This allows for a better understanding of the motion between the two objects.

3. How is the relative velocity between two objects calculated?

The relative velocity between two objects is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of the other object. This can be represented as vAB = vB - vA, where vAB is the relative velocity of object A with respect to object B.

4. What is the significance of a relative velocity diagram in physics?

A relative velocity diagram is important in physics as it helps in understanding the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is commonly used in analyzing collisions, projectile motion, and other scenarios involving multiple moving objects.

5. Can a relative velocity diagram be used for non-linear motion?

Yes, a relative velocity diagram can be used for both linear and non-linear motion. In cases of non-linear motion, the relative velocity is calculated at a specific point in time, rather than over a continuous interval.