How to determine relative 2theta peak in XRD analysis?

In summary, the conversation is about using XRD to determine peaks of Zr2Cu and comparing them with data from JCPDS card. The main concern is how to prove that theoretical 2theta peaks are comparable to experimental 2theta peaks, possibly using intensity calculations. There is also discussion about using the hkl lattice data from JCPDS to build a crystal model and considering the allowed error deviation in peak comparisons.
a_jop_rika
Hope somebody can help me.
I`m currently doing analysis of determining single crystal of Zr2Cu on a surface of bulk metal.
Through XRD, i determine the peak and compared it with data from JCPDS card.
My problem is I don`t know the correct way to compare the theoritical 2theta peak(from JCPDS) with the experiment 2theta peak. I mean how to prove that, like for example the 50degrees peak from experiment is comparable with 53degrees peak of theorotical 2theta, based on relative ratio calculation or sth like that? Sorry if I sound confusing pls tell me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean the reference uses a different wavelength than the experiment and you need to correlate reference peaks to experimental peaks?

[tex]2d~sin\theta=n\lambda[/tex]

[tex]{{sin\theta}\over{\lambda}}={n\over{2d}}[/tex]

[tex]{{sin\theta_{ref}}\over{\lambda_{ref}}}}={{sin\theta_{exp}}\over{\lambda_{exp}}}}[/tex]

[tex]{{\lambda_{exp}}\over{\lambda_{ref}}}{sin\theta_{ref}={sin\theta_{exp}[/tex]

[tex]sin^{-1}({{\lambda_{exp}}\over{\lambda_{ref}}}{sin\theta_{ref})=\theta_{exp}[/tex]

Thank you so much for the quick reply:smile:.
Hm, i`m quite familiar with the equation you gave but the hint is `intensity`.
I think in order to say that "this 2theta from experiment is comparable with this 2theta from JCPDS` it must have something to do with the `intensity`.

If I get to prove that for example, `the 50degrees from experiment is comparable with 53degrees of JCPDS(for Zr2Cu)', then I can use the hkl lattice data in JCPDS to build crystal model.

The intensity can be figure out by chi integration. The JCPDS data also have intensity(i) data, so the calculation must be around these two intensities?

Have any idea?

sir i don't know means by 2 theta

Yes you can say...your exp. value matches jcpds data..If there are not peaks around your experimental 50 degree peak. But you should be careful in saying..How about the other peaks? does other peaks vary a lot ?
or try to find the allowed error deviation !
Intensity is just the area under the peak..So in practice you should fit the exp. peak with the theoretical peak (i actually don't know what peak (Lorentzian, gaussian, Voigt, etc) they use). Also try to assign all the peaks.

I was given a similar request. The objective of this is to make the intensities of each observed reflection (peak) in a given diffractogram comparable to the dominant reflection. Set the highest peak as 100% and all other peaks will be compared to that. So the next largest peak might be 80%, 45% and 5% etc... You can then make a judgement on any differences in orientation by comparing the relative intensities to the JCPDS relative intensities.

Related to How to determine relative 2theta peak in XRD analysis?

1. How is the 2theta peak in XRD analysis determined?

The 2theta peak in XRD analysis is determined by measuring the diffraction pattern of a sample and identifying the angle at which the highest intensity peak occurs. This angle is then converted to 2theta, which represents the scattering angle of the X-rays.

2. What is the importance of determining the relative 2theta peak in XRD analysis?

Determining the relative 2theta peak in XRD analysis is important because it allows for the identification of the crystal structure of a sample. By comparing the peak position and intensity to known standards, the mineral or compound present in the sample can be identified.

3. How is the background noise accounted for in determining the relative 2theta peak in XRD analysis?

Background noise is accounted for by subtracting a background scan from the sample scan. This removes any noise caused by the X-ray source or detector, allowing for a more accurate determination of the 2theta peak.

4. What factors can affect the position of the relative 2theta peak in XRD analysis?

The position of the relative 2theta peak can be affected by several factors, including the crystal structure of the sample, the wavelength of the X-rays used, and the instrument's calibration. Other factors such as sample preparation and particle size can also impact the peak position.

5. Are there any limitations to using the relative 2theta peak to identify a sample in XRD analysis?

While the relative 2theta peak is a useful tool for identifying a sample in XRD analysis, it is not always reliable on its own. Other techniques, such as Rietveld refinement, may be necessary to confirm the identity of a sample, especially if it contains multiple phases or amorphous components.