How to determine particle energies in center of momentum frame?

In summary, the speaker's approach was to determine the energies and 3-momenta at the center of momentum reference frame for each particle, with a fixed s, and check it corresponds to each one of the above. They are having trouble proving that E_A=\frac{s+m^2_A-m^2_B}{2\sqrt{s}} and have been playing around with (p_A+p_B)^2=(E_A+E_B)^2=s but cannot determine E_A. They can use 4-momentum conservation and in the CMS frame, E_A=-E_B. From this, they can also determine that E_A=\frac{s + m_A^2 - m_B^2}{2\sqrt{s}}.
RicardoMP
Homework Statement
I want to show for the following process that, except for the angle [tex]\theta[/tex], all momenta and energies are fixed by energy-momentum conservation.
Relevant Equations
[tex]p_A=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{s}}(s+m^2_A-m^2_B\space,\space 0\space,\space 0\space,\space\sqrt{\eta_i})[/tex]
[tex]p_B=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{s}}(s-m^2_A+m^2_B\space,\space 0\space,\space 0\space,\space -\sqrt{\eta_i})[/tex]
[tex]p_C=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{s}}(s+m^2_C-m^2_D\space,\space \sqrt{n_f}sin(\theta)\space,\space 0\space,\space\sqrt{n_f}cos(\theta))[/tex]
[tex]p_D=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{s}}(s-m^2_C+m^2_D\space,\space -\sqrt{n_f}sin(\theta)\space,\space 0\space,\space-\sqrt{n_f}cos(\theta))[/tex]

, where [tex]\eta_i=4s|\vec{p_i}|^2[/tex] and [tex]\eta_f=4s|\vec{p_f}|^2[/tex].
That said, my approach was to determine the energies and 3-momenta at the center of momentum reference frame for each particle, with a fixed s, and check it corresponds to each one of the above, but I'm having some trouble proving that, for example, [tex]E_A=\frac{s+m^2_A-m^2_B}{2\sqrt{s}}[/tex]. I've been playing around with [tex](p_A+p_B)^2=(E_A+E_B)^2=s[/tex] but I'm failing to determine [tex]E_A[/tex]. How should I do it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 307
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use 4-momentum conservation. In the CMS frame, we have $p_A + p_B = 0$. Thus, we have \begin{align}E_A + E_B &= \sqrt{(p_A + p_B)^2} = 0 \\\implies E_A &= -E_B\end{align}We also know that $E_B = \frac{s + m_B^2 - m_A^2}{2\sqrt{s}}$. So we have\begin{align}E_A &= - \frac{s + m_B^2 - m_A^2}{2\sqrt{s}} \\&= \frac{s + m_A^2 - m_B^2}{2\sqrt{s}}\end{align}

Related to How to determine particle energies in center of momentum frame?

1. How do you define the center of momentum frame?

The center of momentum frame is a reference frame in which the total momentum of a system of particles is equal to zero. In other words, the net momentum of the system is evenly distributed between the particles, resulting in a stationary center of mass.

2. What is the importance of determining particle energies in the center of momentum frame?

Determining particle energies in the center of momentum frame allows for a more accurate understanding of the interactions between particles. This is because the center of momentum frame removes the effects of the overall motion of the system, allowing for a clearer analysis of the individual particle interactions.

3. How can the center of momentum frame be calculated?

The center of momentum frame can be calculated by finding the total momentum of the system and dividing it by the total mass of the system. This will give the velocity of the center of mass, which can then be used to transform to the center of momentum frame.

4. What is the relationship between particle energies in the center of momentum frame and the laboratory frame?

The particle energies in the center of momentum frame and the laboratory frame are related by the Lorentz transformation. This transformation takes into account the relative velocity between the two frames and allows for the conversion of energies between the two frames.

5. Can particle energies in the center of momentum frame change over time?

Yes, particle energies in the center of momentum frame can change over time. This is because the center of momentum frame is dependent on the total momentum of the system, which can change due to external forces or interactions between particles. However, the total energy of the system will remain constant in both the center of momentum frame and the laboratory frame.