How to Determine Lost Energy and Analyze Inelastic Collisions Using Hooke's Law?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values for parts b) and c) of a given problem, where the total energy of the system is determined by using Hooke's law equation and the distance the spring is stretched is halved. The person is unsure how to calculate the lost energy for part b) and the speed of the block for part c). They have determined the answer for part a) by using Hooke's law and halving the distance. They also mention that there may be energy lost to other causes but it does not help them answer part b).
mikemult

Homework Statement

hvz5et.jpg

Homework Equations

I am unsure how to find the value for b) and c). If anyone could tell me how to find these values it would be appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find a) I simply found the slope of the positively slopped line and used Hooke's law equation (Ee =0.5kx2 ). There does not seem to be any permanent deformation in the spring so is there energy lost? My guess is it would be lost to other causes but that still doesn't help me answer b). I am unable to calculate the lost energy to prove that the collision is inelastic (my guess).

Physics news on Phys.org
The total energy of the system, according to Hooke's law, is 0.5kx2. Part a) is asking for the change in energy of the spring when the distance the spring is stretched is x/2. So the answer to part a) is 0.5k(x/2)2. For b) I am not sure how to calculate the lost energy. Is this just the difference between the total energy (0.5kx2) and the energy after the distance is halved (0.5k(x/2)2)? For c) I am not sure how to calculate the speed of the block when it is released.

To find the values for b) and c), you will need to use the equations for energy conservation and elastic potential energy. In this case, the lost energy can be calculated by finding the difference between the initial and final elastic potential energies. This will help determine if the collision is inelastic. Additionally, you can also use the equation for kinetic energy to find the final velocity of the object after the collision. This will give you a better understanding of the overall energy transfer during the collision. It is important to consider all forms of energy (elastic potential, kinetic, and any other forms) in order to accurately analyze the situation. Additionally, it may be helpful to plot the data points on a graph and use the area under the curve to calculate the energy. I would also suggest reviewing the units used in the calculations to ensure they are consistent. I hope this helps.

Related to How to Determine Lost Energy and Analyze Inelastic Collisions Using Hooke's Law?

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a scientific principle that describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting extension or compression of the spring. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How is Hooke's Law graphically represented?

Hooke's Law is typically represented graphically as a straight line on a plot of force (y-axis) versus distance (x-axis). The slope of the line represents the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in Hooke's Law?

The force applied is typically measured in Newtons (N), while the distance is measured in meters (m). The spring constant has units of N/m.

4. How can Hooke's Law be used in real-world applications?

Hooke's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices, measuring the elasticity of materials, and even in the fields of engineering and architecture to determine the stability of structures.

5. What are the limitations of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to elastic materials, which means they can return to their original shape once the force is removed. It also assumes that the spring is being stretched or compressed in a linear fashion, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.