How to determin the equation of quadratic function?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine the equation of a curve given a vertex and a point it passes through. The equation y=ax2+bx+c was used, with the vertex at (-2,3) giving the equation y=a(x+2)2+3. After plugging in the given point (2,5), a was determined to be 1/8. Another question was asked about finding the equation given an X coordinate of the vertex at 2, a value of -1, and a point (3,4). The correct equation was determined to be y=-x^2+... (with the remaining terms not provided).
cruisx
Hi guys what's up. I just have a small question i wish to ask. If you are given vertex(-2,3) and it passes through point(2,5) how do you determine its equation? Its been around 6 months since i last did some math so i am having a hard time remembering. I am not asking you guys to solve it but just to show me how to tackle it =). thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I presume you are asking for a curve of the form y=ax2+bx+c.
The vertex at (-2,3) gives you an equation y=a(x+2)2+3.
Plug in the point value gives you 5=16a+3 or a=1/8.

hi, thanks for the reply but when a friend helped me out this is how we did it.

we used f(x) = a(x+2) + 3

then we sub'ed in our point (2,5) to get

5 = a(2+2)^2 + 3
5 = a(4)^2 + 3
5 = 16a + 3
2 = 16a
a = 8

after that we just put a back into the equation to get

f(x) = 8(x+2)^2 + 3

is this correct?

Also another question i wanted to ask is how would i get the quadratic equation if you are given an X coordinate of the vertex in 2, a = -1 and passes through point (3,4)? This is what i am thinking but i don't know if this is correct.

f(x) = -1(x -2 )2 + 0
4 = -1(3-2)2 + 0

and then i woudl go on from there?

Last edited:
cruisx said:
hi, thanks for the reply but when a friend helped me out with it i got

(1/8)x^2 + (1/2)x + (7/2) = y

is this correct?

Yes.

[tex](1/8)x^2 + (1/2)x + 7/2 = 1/8 (x+2)^2+3[/tex]
so it's the same answer mathman gave you.

You can check it in several ways (this is always a good exercise if you aren't completely sure of your answer). We need to check that (-2,3) and (2,5) satisfy your equation so we insert x=-2 and x=2 to check the values of y:
[tex]1/8*(-2)^2 + 1/2 * (-2) + 7/2 = 3[/tex]
[tex]1/8*(2)^2 + 1/2 * 2 + 7/2 = 5[/tex]
Thus you graph passes through both points. You also need to verify that it has a minimum or maximum at x = -2. This can be checked in a number of ways. In general for an equation of form:
[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = y[/tex]
the minimum or maximum is at x = -2a/b. If you don't know this formula, but know a little calculus you can determine local maximum and minimum points by differentiating and setting the derivative equal to 0. This gives us:
[tex]1/4x + 1/2 = 0[/tex]
in your case which has the solution x = -2. Since we know that a parabola has exactly one minimum or maximum point and it's differentiable at all points we know that this is it so the vertex is at x = -2. Otherwise you could try to complete the square to get:
[tex]y = 1/8(x+2)^2 + 3[/tex]
which shows us that [tex]y\geq 3[/tex] because the square of a real number is non-negative. Hence the vertex is at y= 3 which verifies our answer of (-2,3) for the vertex.

EDIT: Apparently you edited your post while I replied and changed the correct answer to an incorrect answer. In the first formula you omitted ^2, but I expect this is a typo as you remember it in later formulas. After 2 = 16a you should get 1 = 8a which gives a= 1/8 as mathman pointed out, but you somehow got a=8 which is incorrect (16*8 is not 2). Apart from that you should read mathman's reply as his solution is exactly the same.

rasmhop said:
Yes.

[tex](1/8)x^2 + (1/2)x + 7/2 = 1/8 (x+2)^2+3[/tex]
so it's the same answer mathman gave you.

You can check it in several ways (this is always a good exercise if you aren't completely sure of your answer). We need to check that (-2,3) and (2,5) satisfy your equation so we insert x=-2 and x=2 to check the values of y:
[tex]1/8*(-2)^2 + 1/2 * (-2) + 7/2 = 3[/tex]
[tex]1/8*(2)^2 + 1/2 * 2 + 7/2 = 5[/tex]
Thus you graph passes through both points. You also need to verify that it has a minimum or maximum at x = -2. This can be checked in a number of ways. In general for an equation of form:
[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = y[/tex]
the minimum or maximum is at x = -2a/b. If you don't know this formula, but know a little calculus you can determine local maximum and minimum points by differentiating and setting the derivative equal to 0. This gives us:
[tex]1/4x + 1/2 = 0[/tex]
in your case which has the solution x = -2. Since we know that a parabola has exactly one minimum or maximum point and it's differentiable at all points we know that this is it so the vertex is at x = -2. Otherwise you could try to complete the square to get:
[tex]y = 1/8(x+2)^2 + 3[/tex]
which shows us that [tex]y\geq 3[/tex] because the square of a real number is non-negative. Hence the vertex is at y= 3 which verifies our answer of (-2,3) for the vertex.

EDIT: Apparently you edited your post while I replied and changed the correct answer to an incorrect answer. In the first formula you omitted ^2, but I expect this is a typo as you remember it in later formulas. After 2 = 16a you should get 1 = 8a which gives a= 1/8 as mathman pointed out, but you somehow got a=8 which is incorrect (16*8 is not 2). Apart from that you should read mathman's reply as his solution is exactly the same.

ya that ^2 was a mistake, i forgot to put it there. Thanks for the help though, your explanation makes things more clearer. Its been a while so i kinda forgot how to do this but your explanation helped me out =).

Also since i changed it to the wrong equation i am guessing i am doing this one wrong as well?

you are given an X coordinate of the vertex in 2, a = -1 and passes through point (3,4)

would the equation be this: y = - x² + 9x - 14?

thanks, help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
cruisx said:
ya that ^2 was a mistake, i forgot to put it there. Thanks for the help though, your explanation makes things more clearer. Its been a while so i kinda forgot how to do this but your explanation helped me out =).

Also since i changed it to the wrong equation i am guessing i am doing this one wrong as well?
You did everything right except for the fact that you at some point got the equation 2= 16a and concluded that a =8. This step is not correct. You should have solved for a and gotten a = 1/8 and inserted that and then you would have gotten the correct answer.

woudl the equation be this: y = - x² + 9x - 14?

thanks, help would be appreciated.
No. The vertex is at the x-coordinate -9/(2(-1)) = 9/2 which is not 2. In general the vertex has an x-coordinate of -b/2a where b and a are the coefficients of x and x^2.

You are told that the x-coordinate of the vertex is 2 so you know it's of the form:
f(x) = a(x-2)^2 + c
where c is the y-coordinate of the vertex. You are told that a=-1 (I'm assuming that this is what was meant by a) so inserting this we get:
f(x) = -(x-2)^2 + c
Now inserting the point we get:
4 = -(3-2)^2 + c
4 = -(1)^2 + c
4 = -1 + c
c = 5
Thus our function is:
f(x) = -(x-2)^2 + 5
Our in expanded form:
f(x) = -x^2 + 4x + 1

Ok thanks =) i will give it a go and see if i get the same answer again. Also just a graphing Question...maybe i am just over analyzing things but.. I have to graph/create a family of functions with the same X coordinate and with the initial function of y = X squared.
so i could graph some thing like this. (0,1) (0,2) (0,3) ? is it that easy? I have never heard of family of functions until today so idk.

Related to How to determin the equation of quadratic function?

1. How do you determine the equation of a quadratic function if only given the graph?

If you have the graph of a quadratic function, you can determine the equation by identifying the key points on the graph, which are the vertex and at least one other point. Then, you can use the vertex form of a quadratic equation, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the vertex, and the other point to create a system of equations that can be solved for the values of a, h, and k. Once you have those values, you can plug them back into the vertex form to get the equation of the quadratic function.

2. What is the standard form of a quadratic equation?

The standard form of a quadratic equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This form is useful for graphing and solving quadratic equations using different methods, such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

3. Can you determine the equation of a quadratic function with only one point and the vertex?

Yes, if you have the vertex and one other point on the graph of a quadratic function, you can determine the equation using the vertex form, y = a(x-h)^2 + k. Simply plug in the coordinates of the vertex and the other point into the formula and solve for a. Then, substitute the value of a into the vertex form to get the equation of the quadratic function.

4. What is the vertex form of a quadratic equation?

The vertex form of a quadratic equation is y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex. This form is useful for finding the vertex and key points on the graph of a quadratic function, as well as for graphing transformations of quadratic functions.

5. How do you determine the equation of a quadratic function if given the roots?

If you are given the roots of a quadratic function, you can determine the equation by using the factored form, y = a(x-r)(x-s), where r and s are the roots. To find the value of a, you can use a third point on the graph or the coordinates of the vertex, if given. Once you have the value of a, you can plug it back into the factored form to get the equation of the quadratic function.