How to detect power input to a USB port for EEG project.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of building an EEG and sending data to a laptop. The individual is looking for advice on how to write a C# or C++ program to detect the input and is considering using EEG electrodes and an amplification system. They also discuss using the microphone or line-in port as an alternative option. Finally, a link is provided for a potential solution for real-time analysis of the signal.
Superposed_Cat
Hi, so I want to build an EEG and have it send data to my laptop (windows 8). But how would I go about writing a C#(or C++ but I'm more comfortable with C#) program to detect the input (the different frequencies). I was hoping to be able to treat it as a like a music input but I can't seem to find an sdk/api for that. Any help appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
How exactly do you plan on capturing the input? What protocols are you going to use to send the data?

That's the thing. I've never interfaced with an external device before. I've only ever coded things like basic two-dimensional games, process managers, bots, things to do my math homework for me etc nothing even remotely within the sense of the word online. So no protocol so to speak. as far as the EEG I was just(roughly) going to connect EEG electrodes (ordered online) to an amplification system (using op-amps) with circuitry to isolate the ambient noise (hopefully) and convert the analog to digital. I admit this was just some random idea that came to me at 11:30 on a sun (time zones). But as I say any advice welcome. Is there nothing that can just pick up that noise and convert it to plottable values?

It might be easiest to use the microphone or line-in port. The sound hardware will already have an ADC. The only catch is that there is probably going to be a high-pass filter to suppress the 50/60 Hz noise, and the most interesting EEG frequencies are below 60 Hz AFAIK. You could get around that by modulating some higher frequency (say 1500 Hz) with the EEG signal.

Likes 1 person
I see why you have a thanks badge, so but how will it read from the audio jack?

Thank you so much.

Related to How to detect power input to a USB port for EEG project.

1. How can I detect the power input to a USB port for my EEG project?

To detect the power input to a USB port for an EEG project, you can use a multimeter or a USB voltage meter. These tools can measure the voltage and current of the USB port, which can indicate the power input.

2. What voltage and current should I expect from a USB port for my EEG project?

The standard voltage and current for a USB 2.0 port is 5V and 500mA, while a USB 3.0 port can provide up to 900mA. However, there may be variations depending on the specific device and USB port you are using.

3. Can I use any USB port to power my EEG project?

It is recommended to use a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port for your EEG project, as they provide the necessary voltage and current for most devices. However, if your project requires more power, you may need to use a dedicated power supply.

4. How can I ensure a stable power supply for my EEG project?

To ensure a stable power supply for your EEG project, make sure to use a good quality USB cable and avoid using extension cords or USB hubs. These can cause voltage drops and affect the stability of the power supply.

5. Is it safe to use a USB port for powering my EEG project?

Using a USB port to power your EEG project is generally safe as long as you do not exceed the maximum voltage and current ratings of the port. However, it is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when working with electricity.