How to design an impulse input in Matlab Simulink

In summary, to design an impulse input in a Matlab Simulink model, you can use two step input blocks and run one through a delay. To define an impulse, you need to consider the relationship between the delay and the amplitude of the step functions, and subtracting one step function from the other may be necessary.
AnkleBreaker

Homework Statement

I would like to know a way to design an impulse input in a Matlab Simulink model. I know there are step input and ramp input blocks but there is no impulse input block.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If any working is needed please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
an easy solution can be found using two step inputs. since this is in homework, I'll let you try to figure out the rest. if you still have trouble let us know.

donpacino said:
an easy solution can be found using two step inputs. since this is in homework, I'll let you try to figure out the rest. if you still have trouble let us know.
impulse_simulink.jpg

Is this it? Or do I have to run one step input through a delay?

AnkleBreaker said:
impulse_simulink.jpg

Is this it? Or do I have to run one step input through a delay?
close but not quite... what you said about the delay is correct. there is also one more mistake as well

also to consider... how do you define an impulse? that will show you the relationship between the delay and the amplitude of the step functions.

hint. Maybe you need to subtract one step function from the other??

Related to How to design an impulse input in Matlab Simulink

1. How do I create an impulse input in Matlab Simulink?

To create an impulse input in Matlab Simulink, you can use the "Unit Delay" block to delay a constant input by one time step. Then, connect the output of the "Unit Delay" block to the input of your system. This will create a single impulse input at the beginning of the simulation.

2. Can I change the magnitude and duration of the impulse input in Matlab Simulink?

Yes, you can change the magnitude and duration of the impulse input by adjusting the value of the constant input in the "Unit Delay" block. You can also use the "Pulse Generator" block to create an impulse input with a specific magnitude and duration.

3. How can I add multiple impulse inputs in a single simulation in Matlab Simulink?

To add multiple impulse inputs in a single simulation, you can use the "Step" block to create a step input with a specific magnitude and duration. Then, use the "Sum" block to combine multiple step inputs into a single impulse input. You can also use the "Pulse Generator" block to create multiple impulse inputs with different magnitudes and durations.

4. Is it possible to add noise to an impulse input in Matlab Simulink?

Yes, you can add noise to an impulse input by using the "Random Number" block to generate a random signal. Then, use the "Product" block to multiply the random signal with your impulse input. This will add noise to your impulse input.

5. How can I visualize the impulse input in Matlab Simulink?

To visualize the impulse input, you can use the "Scope" block to plot the input and output signals of your system. You can also use the "To Workspace" block to save the input and output signals as variables and plot them using the "plot" function in Matlab.