How to design a circuit in which an LED turns on when there is a voltage drop

In summary: UTF-8&btnI ndex=0&btnSearch=In summary, you could use a comparator with some hysteresis or another option would be to just charge a capacitor when the signal goes low that drives a FET which turns on the LED and then to reset, you'd need to discharge the cap.
brainfunction
I want the LED to be off when there is a certain input voltage let's say 5v (the exact value doesn't matter), but when that voltage drops I want the LED to turn on. I would also like the LED to remain on even when the voltage goes back up to 5v.

I was thinking of using some sort of logic gate combination to keep the LED on even when the voltage goes back up to 5v, but I'm not sure what to do to keep the LED off for a high voltage value and on for a lower value. Would I need some sort of transistor?

Any help would be great!

Engineering news on Phys.org
brainfunction said:
I want the LED to be off when there is a certain input voltage let's say 5v (the exact value doesn't matter), but when that voltage drops I want the LED to turn on. I would also like the LED to remain on even when the voltage goes back up to 5v.

I was thinking of using some sort of logic gate combination to keep the LED on even when the voltage goes back up to 5v, but I'm not sure what to keep the LED off for a high voltage value and on for a lower value. Would I need some sort of transistor?

You could use a comparator with some hysteresis or another option would be to just charge a capacitor when the signal goes low that drives a FET which turns on the LED and then to reset, you'd need to discharge the cap. Another way to keep the LED on after the voltage comes back would be to use a latch that you would also need to be able to reset.

As far as turning on an LED when the signal goes low, there are multiple ways to do that with transistors and other devices. You could also sink the current directly through the LED with the signal if the signal driver can handle this, but that alone doesn't satisfy the need to keep the LED on when the signal goes back to high.

Related to How to design a circuit in which an LED turns on when there is a voltage drop

1. How do I choose the appropriate LED for my circuit?

The first step in designing a circuit with an LED is to select the appropriate LED for your specific voltage drop. This includes considering the LED's forward voltage, current rating, and color. LEDs with lower forward voltages and higher current ratings will generally require larger resistors to limit the current and prevent burnout.

2. What is the ideal voltage drop for an LED circuit?

The ideal voltage drop for an LED circuit is typically between 1.8-3.3 volts, depending on the specific LED used. This voltage drop is necessary to ensure that the LED turns on and emits light.

3. How do I calculate the resistor value for my LED circuit?

To calculate the resistor value for your LED circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law. First, determine the forward current and voltage of your LED. Then, subtract the forward voltage from the supply voltage to find the voltage across the resistor. Finally, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistor value needed to limit the current to a safe level for your LED.

4. Can I use multiple LEDs in the same circuit?

Yes, you can use multiple LEDs in the same circuit as long as the total forward voltage does not exceed the supply voltage. In this case, you will need to calculate the resistor value for each LED based on its individual voltage drop and current rating.

5. How can I test if my LED circuit is working properly?

You can test your LED circuit by using a multimeter to measure the voltage across the LED and the resistor. If the voltage across the LED is close to its forward voltage and the voltage across the resistor is within a safe range, then your circuit is working properly and the LED should be emitting light.