How to derive the Breit equation (Pauli approximation) in position space?

In summary, the conversation is about the book "Quantum Mechanics of One and Two Electron Atoms" by H.A. Bethe. Section 39 discusses the transition from the general form to the Pauli approximation form through momentum space. The question is raised if there is a direct approach in position space, specifically using the Fourier transform method in Section 39 β on page 179. One person has cryptic notes in the margin that they cannot understand and the other person is interested in seeing them.
cddong
I am reading the H. A. Bethe's book ---quantum mechanics of one and two electron atoms.
In section 39, it is shown how to go from general form to pauli approximation form through momentum space.
who knows how to go directly in position space?

Physics news on Phys.org
ding

Do you mean the Fourier transform approach in Section 39 β on page 179? I have some cryptic notes (in my handwriting) in the margin that I cannot decipher anymore.

Bob S

Bob S said:
Do you mean the Fourier transform approach in Section 39 β on page 179? I have some cryptic notes (in my handwriting) in the margin that I cannot decipher anymore.

Bob S

Yes, that is what I am reading.

~~~sounds cool~~can you by some means share it?

Related to How to derive the Breit equation (Pauli approximation) in position space?

1. What is the Breit equation in position space?

The Breit equation in position space is a relativistic equation that describes the motion of a charged particle in an external electromagnetic field. It takes into account both the electric and magnetic interactions between the particle and the field.

2. What is the Pauli approximation in the derivation of the Breit equation?

The Pauli approximation is a simplification used in the derivation of the Breit equation. It assumes that the external field is weak, and that the particle's velocity is much smaller than the speed of light. This allows for a more manageable mathematical approach to solving the equation.

3. How is the Breit equation derived in position space?

The Breit equation can be derived using the Dirac equation, which describes the motion of a relativistic particle. By applying the Pauli approximation and using the position space representation of the Dirac equation, one can arrive at the Breit equation in position space.

4. What are the applications of the Breit equation in position space?

The Breit equation in position space has various applications in theoretical physics, such as in the study of atomic and molecular structure, and in the calculation of scattering amplitudes in high-energy physics. It is also used in the development of quantum field theories.

5. Are there any limitations to the Breit equation in position space?

Like any mathematical model, the Breit equation in position space has its limitations. It does not take into account certain effects, such as quantum electrodynamics corrections, and is not applicable to particles with spin greater than 1/2. Additionally, it can only be used for non-relativistic particles.