How to derive t1 in terms of t and t in terms of t1

In summary: Anyway, to summarise, the Lorentz transformation formulas are used to describe how time and distance measurements between two events change when observed by different observers moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. The formulas involve the velocity of the observer and the speed of light (c).
manvirsingh
1. (x=X1+vt1, x1=x-vt )

2.(t=t1+vx1/c2, t1=t-vx/c2 )

I know that 1. is x in terms x1 and x1 in terms of x.
I understand it very well, the adding and substracting of
velocity.

But i am unable to understand the 2.how these equation are
derived and what does they mean.

The mane problem is how they are derived.

Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
c2 means c^2 (c squared)?
This looks like a classical formula, as time passes at the same rate for t and t1. They are just shifted by a constant value, which is meaningless in physics (there is no absolute time in physical equations, just time differences).

Edit: Ah, those are the moving x1, x? Sorry, I am confused by your equations. Can you provide the source, or at least write them in a clean way (with [tex] tag would be perfect, together with an explanation what the parameters are)?

x=stationary observer
x1=moving observer
c2= c squared
v= velocity

manvirsingh said:
x=stationary observer
x1=moving observer
c2= c squared
v= velocity
That still doesn't answer the question. I assume x is supposed to be a distance (not an observer) so you have to specify between what and what and measured by who. Similarly for the other terms.

The Lorentz transform is usually expressed in a form something like[tex]
\begin{align}
t_1 &= \frac{t - vx/c^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} \\
x_1 &= \frac{x - vt}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} \\
t &= \frac{t_1 + vx_1/c^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} \\
x &= \frac{x_1 + vt_1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}
\end{align}
[/tex]
where

t = time between event O and event E as measured by observer A
x = distance between event O and event E as measured by observer A
t1 = time between event O and event E as measured by observer B
x1 = distance between event O and event E as measured by observer B
v = velocity of observer B relative to observer A

My equations look rather different to yours, so did you really mean what you wrote? And if you did, what do the letters mean (they can't be the same as the meanings I gave).

Related to How to derive t1 in terms of t and t in terms of t1

1. What is the meaning of "t1" and "t" in this context?

In this context, "t1" and "t" are variables representing time. "t" is the initial time and "t1" is the final time.

2. Why is it important to derive t1 in terms of t and t in terms of t1?

Deriving t1 in terms of t and t in terms of t1 allows us to express the relationship between the initial and final times in a clear and concise way. It also allows us to easily solve for one variable in terms of the other, which can be useful in various scientific calculations and experiments.

3. How do you derive t1 in terms of t?

To derive t1 in terms of t, you can start by setting up an equation that relates the two variables. For example, if t1 is the final time and t is the initial time, the equation could be t1 = t + x, where x is some unknown value. From there, you can solve for x and plug it back into the equation, resulting in t1 = t + x = t + (some value), which is t1 in terms of t.

4. Can you provide an example of deriving t1 in terms of t?

Sure, let's say we have an object that starts at time t=0 and moves at a constant velocity. We want to find the time t1 when the object reaches a distance of 100 meters from its starting point. Using the equation d = vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time, we can set up the equation 100 = vt1. We can then solve for t1 by dividing both sides by v, giving us t1 = 100/v. This is t1 in terms of t.

5. Why is it necessary to derive t in terms of t1 as well?

Deriving t in terms of t1 allows us to have a complete understanding of the relationship between the two variables. It also allows us to easily switch between the initial and final times, which can be useful in different scenarios. Additionally, having both equations gives us a better understanding of the overall system and how the variables are related to each other.