How to derive equation from RLC circuit?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a linear differential equation for the system described in the homework statement. Unfortunately, they don't know how to get from the equation in standard form to the characteristic roots and modes.
Nat3

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.com/a/img580/682/z3mt.jpg

Derive a linear differential equation for the above LTI system.

Homework Equations

[itex]i_C=C\frac{dV_C(t)}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]V_L=L\frac{di_L(t)}{dt}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using KVL, I can get the following equation:

[itex]V_{in}(t)=L\frac{di(t)_L}{dt}+i(t)R_A+\int\frac{i(t)}{C}dt+V_o(t)[/itex]

However, I don't know where to go from here. All of the differential equations describing LTI systems in my textbook look like:

[itex]ay'' + by' + cy = g(x)[/itex]

Or something similar to that, and then we factor out the y to get something like

[itex](aD^2+bD+c)y = g(x)[/itex]

Then we factor what's in the parenthesis to find the characteristic roots.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
so what operation could you do to that whole equation to get it into a form you feel comfortable with?

Likes 1 person
Well, I thought about differentiating it to get rid of the integral, which results in:

[itex]\frac{dV_{in}(t)}{dt}=L\frac{d^2i(t)}{dt^2}+\frac{di(t)}{dt}R_A+\frac{i(t)}{C}+\frac{dV_{o}(t)}{dt}[/itex]

But then I don't know where to go from there.. I think it's the [itex]V_{in}[/itex] and [itex]V_o[/itex] terms that are getting me tripped up.

Is the objective to find a D.E. that describes Vo(t) when there's a driving function of Vin(t)? Note that the current i(t) depends on RB as well as RA. So RB needs to appear in your equation.

If you find the D.E. for i(t) given Vin(t) (ignoring Vo for the moment), then you can convert it to a D.E. for Vo(t) easily enough since Vo(t) = i(t)*RB.

Nat3 said:
Well, I thought about differentiating it to get rid of the integral, which results in:

[itex]\frac{dV_{in}(t)}{dt}=L\frac{d^2i(t)}{dt^2}+\frac{di(t)}{dt}R_A+\frac{i(t)}{C}+\frac{dV_{o}(t)}{dt}[/itex]

But then I don't know where to go from there.. I think it's the [itex]V_{in}[/itex] and [itex]V_o[/itex] terms that are getting me tripped up.

That's what I would have done. I don't know the convention in circuit analysis, but:

[tex]\Delta V = V_{out} - V_{in}[/tex]

And then you're measuring the potential difference.

gneill said:
Is the objective to find a D.E. that describes Vo(t) when there's a driving function of Vin(t)? Note that the current i(t) depends on RB as well as RA. So RB needs to appear in your equation.

If you find the D.E. for i(t) given Vin(t) (ignoring Vo for the moment), then you can convert it to a D.E. for Vo(t) easily enough since Vo(t) = i(t)*RB.

The instructions say to derive a linear differential equation describing the circuit I posted, where the equation should be expressed in terms of the differentiation operator D and the circuit parameters (L, RA, RB, etc.)

The next problem is to find the characteristic roots and modes of the system, so I'm pretty sure that I need to get the equation in the standard form of [itex]ay′′+by′+cy=g(x)[/itex], I'm just not sure how to get there :(

I think you have it already. You're not asked to solve it right?

edit: gotchya, missed that...

Last edited:

Related to How to derive equation from RLC circuit?

1. How do you derive the equation for an RLC circuit?

To derive the equation for an RLC circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and the principles of Ohm's law. First, apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to the circuit to get an equation that relates the voltages across each component. Then, use Ohm's law to express the current in terms of the voltage and resistance. Finally, substitute the values for the inductor and capacitor to get the final equation.

2. What are the key components of an RLC circuit?

The key components of an RLC circuit are the resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and have different effects on the behavior of the circuit. The resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field.

3. How does the frequency affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The frequency of the input signal has a significant impact on the behavior of an RLC circuit. At resonance, when the frequency of the input signal matches the natural frequency of the circuit, the impedance is at its minimum and the current is at its maximum. As the frequency deviates from resonance, the impedance increases, causing the current to decrease. This can lead to effects such as resonance and damping in the circuit.

4. What is the significance of the natural frequency in an RLC circuit?

The natural frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the circuit will naturally oscillate without any external input. It is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor in the circuit. When the input frequency matches the natural frequency, resonance occurs and the amplitude of the current or voltage in the circuit can become very high. This can be useful in applications such as radio communication and tuning circuits.

5. How can the RLC circuit equation be used to analyze real-world circuits?

The RLC circuit equation provides a mathematical model that can be used to simulate and analyze the behavior of real-world circuits. By solving the equation, you can determine the impedance, current, and voltage at different frequencies. This can help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications, as well as troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in existing circuits.