How to derive air drag formula?

In summary, the conversation is about deriving a drag formula for a thin disc moving through air, using the concepts of air drag and collision with air molecules. The formula should be of the form Fd = 0.5 C q v^2 A, where C is a dimensionless drag coefficient and q is air density. The speaker suggests starting by understanding the kinematics of the collision process and applying momentum and energy conservation. They also mention the assumption of a "dense crowd" of stationary air molecules and ask for clarification on the meaning of "dimensionless" in the formula.
Marek
Hello, I have very interesting physics problem. But i really have no idea how to solve it... Maybe somebody can give me some useful hints?

Here we go:

"Air drag (air resistance, drag) is a resisitvie force which is the result of a moving object colliding with air molecules. Dervie the drag formula for a thin disc of area A moving with velocity v throught the air. Treat the air as a dense crowd of tiny particles, of concentration n0 per m^3 and with each having a mass u. Treat the collision as elastic ones. You should obtain the expression of the form Fd = 0.5 C q v^2 A, where C is a dimensionless drag coefficient, and q is air density"

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably start by getting the basic kinematics of the collision process down, for example, how many air molecules does the disk collide with in a time dt? Once you have this, you should probably then apply momentum and energy conservation to the collision. See where these suggestions take you.

so:
0|\
0 \ \ <--- A area
00 \ \
000 \ \
00000\|
<-->
x
0000 - molecules
Sorry for poor graph. So i can assume that: my area what is "pushing" by disc is Ax, in this area is Axn0 molecules, and mass of this area is Axn0u. I think that the molecules are not moving (so is false in reality, but there is written "dense crowd")
Probably i have now the solution, bu tell me please, what mean "dimensionless"? Because in my formula is no C, can I assume because of this "dimensionless" that C is so small so i can have this formula without C?

Last edited:

Related to How to derive air drag formula?

What is air drag?

Air drag, also known as air resistance, is a force that acts on an object as it moves through air. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the air molecules, and it opposes the motion of the object.

Why is understanding air drag important?

Understanding air drag is important in many fields, such as engineering, aerodynamics, and sports. It allows us to predict the behavior of objects moving through air and design more efficient and aerodynamic structures.

How is air drag calculated?

The air drag formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of air drag, the force is proportional to the velocity of the object squared and is also affected by the object's surface area and the density of the air.

What are some factors that can affect air drag?

The magnitude of air drag is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, the density of the air, and the properties of the surface of the object.

How can air drag be reduced?

Air drag can be reduced by changing the shape of the object to make it more streamlined, reducing its surface area, or increasing its speed to create a lower pressure region around the object. Additionally, using smooth and nonporous materials can also help reduce air drag.