How to define kinetic energy of a compound system

In summary, a system is defined as two connected masses in an atwood machine and the earth. The total kinetic energy in a system with multiple moving objects can be found by adding together their individual kinetic energies. This applies to both connected and non-connected blocks in the system.
Davyd Sadovskyy
A system is defined as two connected masses in an atwood machine and the earth. How do I find total kinetic energy in a system where more than one object is moving (or is only one object actually moving since the two masses are connected with a string? idk)
upload_2017-11-3_21-30-10-png.png

This is an isolated system so... ΔK + ΔU = 0

How do I define energies of a system if there are multiple moving parts, each with its own energy? This is at the core of my confusion. I know that initially, there are no particles in this system with velocity, so Ki must be 0.
These are my questions

1.) How would you define the final kinetic energy? Do you treat the two moving blocks as a singly block instead of 2 separate blocks?

2.) What if a system consisted of 2 non connected blocks. How would you define final kinetic energy then?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-3_21-30-10-png.png
    upload_2017-11-3_21-30-10-png.png
    921 bytes · Views: 919
Physics news on Phys.org
Davyd Sadovskyy said:
How do I define energies of a system if there are multiple moving parts, each with its own energy?
Just add them together.

Davyd Sadovskyy said:
What if a system consisted of 2 non connected blocks. How would you define final kinetic energy then?
Just add them together.

Related to How to define kinetic energy of a compound system

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of energy that results from the movement of an object or a system of objects.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

The kinetic energy of a compound system is calculated by summing the kinetic energy of each individual component. The formula for kinetic energy is 1/2 x mass x velocity^2. This means that the mass and velocity of each object in the system must be known in order to calculate the total kinetic energy.

3. What is a compound system?

A compound system is a system composed of multiple objects or particles. These objects can have different masses and velocities, and their combined motion creates a compound system with its own unique kinetic energy.

4. How does kinetic energy change in a compound system?

In a compound system, kinetic energy can change due to various factors such as changes in the mass or velocity of the individual components, or external forces acting on the system. The total kinetic energy of the system is the sum of the kinetic energy of each component, and will change accordingly.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy in a compound system?

Yes, kinetic energy in a compound system can be converted into other forms of energy such as potential energy, heat, or sound. This can happen through collisions or interactions between the components of the system, or through external forces acting on the system.