How to define "energy" and "work" without using either word

In summary, energy and work are closely related concepts that are defined differently depending on the branch of physics being considered. While the general definition of energy as "the ability to do work" may be vague, there are specific definitions for energy in different forms and work as a transfer of energy. It is important to consider the context when defining these concepts in order to avoid confusion.
brawler234
I understand that work is done when (a) a force displaces an object, (b) energy is converted from one form to another, (c) heat is transferred between a system and its surroundings, yet I have trouble giving a precise definition for it.

Everywhere I go, the definition of energy is "the ability to do work" while the definition of work is "the transfer of energy."

How can we define energy without using the word "work" and vice versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
brawler234 said:
I understand that work is done when (a) a force displaces an object, (b) energy is converted from one form to another, (c) heat is transferred between a system and its surroundings, yet I have trouble giving a precise definition for it.

Everywhere I go, the definition of energy is "the ability to do work" while the definition of work is "the transfer of energy."

How can we define energy without using the word "work" and vice versa?

It's not easy to define energy in general. You can define kinetic energy, potential energy and then total mechanical energy specifically as KE + PE.

Then you can define thermal energy, chemical energy, nuclear energy.

I'd agree that the definition of energy as "the ability to do work" is woolly and can lead to circular arguments.

There's an amusing and educational video here:

brawler234 said:
This is not quite right. In different branches of physics there are different definitions for the same word. Usually the two definitions are equivalent under some circumstances, but each definition is tailored for the particular branch of physics where it is defined. Here you are mixing the definition of energy from mechanics with the definition of work from thermodynamics.

In mechanics work is defined as ##\int F \cdot ds ##. And energy is defined as the ability to do work. Everything is straightforward. Work is defined first in terms of fundamental concepts and then energy is defined based on work.

In thermodynamics kinetic energy is usually defined first as ##\frac{1}{2} m v^2## and then energy in general is defined as anything with the same units that can be converted to kinetic energy. Then work is defined as a transfer of energy. Again, everything is straightforward, but the order of definition is reversed.

So the confusion only arises when you take the second definition from each branch of physics. Note that if you are mixing branches then you could take the first definition from each branch and have each defined independently. Then you could derive both of the second definitions. In the end you wind up with the same four statements. As long as it is self consistent the order of definition and derivation is not particularly important.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and anorlunda

Related to How to define "energy" and "work" without using either word

1. What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is measured in joules (J).

2. How can energy be described without using the word "energy"?

Energy can be described as the capacity of a system to perform work or cause change. It is also the result of a physical or chemical process that can produce heat or motion.

3. What is the difference between energy and work?

Energy is a property of a system, while work is the transfer of energy from one system to another. Work is done when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force.

4. Can you give an example of energy without using the word "energy"?

An example of energy is the ability of a moving car to overcome resistance and maintain its speed. This energy is transferred from the car's engine to its wheels, allowing it to do work and move forward.

5. How do you measure energy without using the word "energy"?

Energy can be measured by calculating the amount of work that can be done by a system. This can be determined by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force.