How to define covariant basis in curved space 'intrinsicly'?

In summary, in curved space, we define covariant basis by the partial derivative of position vector with respect to each coordinates, i.e. ##∂R/(∂z^i )=z_i##.
arpon
In Euclidean space, we may define covariant basis by the partial derivative of position vector with respect to each coordinates, i.e.
##∂R/(∂z^i )=z_i##
But in curved space (such as, the two dimensional space on a sphere) how can we define covariant basis 'intrinsicly'?(as we have no position vector in curved space intrinsicly)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have no position vector, but you can still define functions on your manifold. The vectors will correspond to directional derivatives of arbitrary functions. Usually we will see something like:

$$e_i=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}$$

Now ##x^i## is NOT the components of a vector in a curved space, but just a set of coordinates for the space.

One thing that often confuses beginners in "differential geometry" is that they have been used to using, in Calculus, "position vectors". "Position vectors", extending from a fixed origin to the point, can exist only in Euclidean space. (I used to worry a great deal whether "position vectors" on the surface of a sphere "curved" around the surface or went straight through the sphere!) In fact, the only vectors we ca deal with in general spaces are tangent vectors- which leads to "all vectors are derivatives". If we are given a path on the surface of a sphere, for example, a tangent vector to that path is tangent to the sphere and is a derivative. If you look at all the tangent vectors to a sphere at a give point, you have a vector space- the "tangent space" or "tangent plane" at that point. The "contravariant vectors" are simply the functions that assign a given tangent vector at each point. And when you have a vector space, you have it "dual space", the set of all functionals on that vector space. That is, the set of all functions that, to every vector assign a number. It is easy to show that the set off all such functionals on an n-dimensional vectors space is, itself, an n-dimensional vectors space. Those are the "covariant vectors"

Since vectors "are" derivatives, we can write every vector in terms of, say, [itex]\partial/\partial\theta[/itex] and [itex]\partial/\partial\phi[/itex] (or derivatives with respect to whatever parameters are used to define the surface). Functions that assign a number to derivatives are integrals so every "co-vector" or "covariant vector" can be written as, applying the functional to vector v, [itex]\int v\cdot (f(x,y,z)dx+ g(x,y,z)dy+ h(x,y,z)dz)[/itex] so that we can think of the basis for the space of covariant vectors as [itex]dx[/itex], [itex]dy[/itex], and [itex]dz[/itex].

Related to How to define covariant basis in curved space 'intrinsicly'?

1. What is a covariant basis in curved space?

A covariant basis in curved space refers to a set of basis vectors that are defined at each point in the curved space and are parallel to the tangent vectors of the space at that point. These basis vectors are used to define the geometric properties of the curved space and are intrinsic to the space itself.

2. How is a covariant basis defined intrinsically in curved space?

A covariant basis is defined intrinsically in curved space by using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool that describes the curvature of the space. The metric tensor is used to relate the basis vectors at each point in the space to the tangent vectors, thus defining a covariant basis that is intrinsic to the space.

3. Why is it important to define a covariant basis intrinsically in curved space?

Defining a covariant basis intrinsically in curved space is important because it allows us to describe the properties of the space without relying on any external reference frames or coordinate systems. This is particularly useful in general relativity, where the curvature of space-time can vary from point to point.

4. How is a covariant basis different from a contravariant basis?

A covariant basis is defined using the tangent vectors of the space at each point, while a contravariant basis is defined using the cotangent vectors. These two sets of basis vectors are related by the metric tensor, but they have different transformation properties under coordinate transformations in curved space.

5. Can a covariant basis be defined in flat space?

Yes, a covariant basis can be defined in flat space. In flat space, the metric tensor is constant and equal to the identity matrix, so the covariant basis vectors are the same as the tangent vectors of the space. However, defining a covariant basis is especially important in curved space, where the metric tensor varies from point to point.