How to deal with randomly selected people who chose not to take a survey?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Survey
In summary, the conversation discusses using cluster sampling to estimate the median income of adults in a church, where contact information is not readily available for all individuals. The problem of non-respondents is also addressed, with suggestions to adjust sampling weights and use methods such as CHAID tree analysis or postratification. The suggestion to use bootstrap method for estimating the median is also mentioned.
moonman239
I have a question. Let's say I wanted to estimate the median income of all adults in my church. So I randomly select individual stakes and send surveys out to the presidencies to distribute to members within their stakes, otherwise known as "cluster sampling." Cluster sampling has its disadvantages, but my church doesn't release contact information for any individual outside my ward(smaller group within a stake)/branch(similar to a ward, but consists of less members)/stake, with the exception of ward bishoprics, branch and stake presidencies.

Note: "Stakes" and "stake presidencies" also mean "districts," which are like stakes but smaller.

Here's my question: Let's say that 30% of members did not return the survey. I cannot contact those members. Which would be the best choice? 1) making my estimate using the data the respondents provided, acknowledging there were a few who did not return the survey 2) collect data on the income of all adults living in their countries, then estimate how much money the non-respondents earn, acknowledging that that part of the data was estimated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are talking about clustering sampling, I assume you know about the sampling weights. To adjust the selection bias, that is produced by the 30% non respondents, you can adjust the sample weights. There are many ways of doing that, for example, weighting class adjusting, CHAID tree analysis, postratification, raking. As long as you did not bias your result during the sending survey process these methods would be proven unbiased.

For estimating median you might want to try bootstrap method of estimation which is really good.

Related to How to deal with randomly selected people who chose not to take a survey?

1. How do I handle missing data from participants who choose not to take a survey?

Missing data from participants who choose not to take a survey can significantly impact the accuracy and validity of your results. One approach is to use statistical techniques such as imputation to estimate missing values based on the responses of other participants. Another option is to exclude the missing data from your analysis, but this may introduce bias into your results.

2. Should I try to persuade people to take the survey even if they initially decline?

It is generally not recommended to try to persuade people to take a survey if they have already declined. This can lead to biased results, as those who are more easily convinced may have different characteristics than those who chose not to participate. It is important to respect individuals' decisions and focus on obtaining a representative sample from those who do choose to participate.

3. How can I increase participation rates among those who are randomly selected for a survey?

There are several strategies you can use to increase participation rates among randomly selected individuals. These include offering incentives, making the survey convenient and easy to access, and clearly communicating the purpose and importance of the survey. Additionally, reaching out through multiple channels (e.g. email, phone, mail) can increase the chances of reaching potential participants.

4. How do I handle potential biases from individuals who choose not to take the survey?

It is important to consider potential biases from individuals who choose not to take the survey. One way to address this is by collecting demographic information from both participants and non-participants and comparing the characteristics of the two groups. If there are significant differences, statistical techniques such as weighting or stratification may be used to adjust for these biases in the analysis.

5. Is it necessary to address non-response bias in my research?

It is important to address non-response bias in your research, as it can significantly impact the validity and generalizability of your results. Non-response bias occurs when the characteristics of those who participate in a survey differ from those who do not. To ensure the accuracy of your results, it is important to assess and address potential biases in the sample through techniques such as weighting, stratification, or imputation.