How to deal with difficult problems

• Thread starter Luke Tan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of reading Goldstein's Classical Mechanics book, which has more difficult problems and fewer examples compared to other books. The person is unsure of how to approach these difficult problems and wonders if they should seek help from a homework forum. The conversation also explores the benefits of trying to solve the problem without help and taking breaks before attempting it again.
Luke Tan
I've started reading Goldstein Classical Mechanics recently and I've found the problems inside to be much more difficult than what I'm used to. Before this, I used to read books like David Morin's Introduction to Classical Mechanics, with problems that had extremely detailed solutions and where the general procedure was very well detailed in the earlier chapter.

However, on encountering Goldstein's book, which have very few examples and a varied range of questions, I'm starting to find learning is much more difficult than before. I can't turn to the first few lines for the solutions for hints, or look to the earlier sections in the hope that the solution procedure is similar than before.

What should I do when I encounter a difficult problem? Should I attempt to solve the problem for many days? What if I just can't make progress?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should turn to a homework forum and ask for help. That's way better than trying for days or even risking to learn something wrong.

Luke Tan said:
I can't turn to the first few lines for the solutions for hints, or look to the earlier sections in the hope that the solution procedure is similar than before.

There is an important trade off between trying without help and moving forward with the material. When you worked on problems before, how quickly did you turn to the solution to get hints? There is a lot to be said for looking at a problem, giving it a try, and then going a day or two without looking at it before trying again.

Likes Doc Al and Dadface

Related to How to deal with difficult problems

1. How do I stay calm when faced with a difficult problem?

One way to stay calm when faced with a difficult problem is to take a step back and assess the situation objectively. Try to focus on finding a solution rather than getting overwhelmed by the problem itself. Taking deep breaths and reminding yourself that you have the skills and resources to handle the situation can also help you stay calm.

2. What is the best approach to solving a difficult problem?

The best approach to solving a difficult problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you better understand the problem and identify potential solutions. It can also be helpful to involve others and gather different perspectives and ideas. Additionally, being open to trying different approaches and being persistent in finding a solution can lead to success.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is to actively seek out and solve challenging problems, whether in your personal or professional life. Additionally, continuously learning and expanding your knowledge and skills can help you approach problems from different angles. Collaborating with others and seeking feedback can also help you identify areas for improvement.

4. What should I do if I can't find a solution to a difficult problem?

If you can't find a solution to a difficult problem, it's important not to get discouraged. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with someone else or seeking help from a mentor or expert in the field. Sometimes, taking a step back and approaching the problem from a different angle can lead to a breakthrough.

5. How can I prevent difficult problems from arising in the first place?

While some problems are inevitable, there are steps you can take to prevent difficult problems from arising. This includes being proactive and addressing smaller issues before they escalate into bigger problems. Communicating effectively and setting clear expectations can also help prevent misunderstandings and conflicts. Additionally, continuously learning and staying updated on industry developments can help you anticipate potential problems and address them before they become too difficult to handle.