How to cut geometries in GATE?

• Thread starter Alexander Camargo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Gate
In summary, the conversation discusses the ability to define and cut different geometries in MCNPX and whether this feature is available in GATE. The speaker also mentions that GATE's underlying software, GEANT4, supports this feature but there is limited information in the GATE manual. They suggest joining the mailing list for more information or playing around with the program. Finally, the speaker shares that they were able to resolve their issue by importing a Stl file from Openscad for GATE.
Alexander Camargo
Hi every one. As you all know, in MCNPX you can define different geometries and cut them with each other and create new irregular geometries. For example, you can cut a sphere with a cylinder and create a semi spherical geometry within the cross section of cylinder. now Here is my question: is this feature available in GATE or not?
I want to create a semi cylinder.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know GATE at all. The underlying GEANT4 appears to support this, but the only relevant info I can find in the GATE manual is that volumes are not allowed to intersect. That is not a great sign.

The only other thing I've found is on their listserv.
http://lists.opengatecollaboration.org/pipermail/gate-users/2014-January/006991.html

If you get no other replies here, I think your options are to play around with the program or join the mailing list and ask.

Alex A said:
I don't know GATE at all. The underlying GEANT4 appears to support this, but the only relevant info I can find in the GATE manual is that volumes are not allowed to intersect. That is not a great sign.

The only other thing I've found is on their listserv.
http://lists.opengatecollaboration.org/pipermail/gate-users/2014-January/006991.html

If you get no other replies here, I think your options are to play around with the program or join the mailing list and ask.
I resolved my problem. I imported the Stl file from Openscad for Gate.
Thanks for the help

Related to How to cut geometries in GATE?

1. How do I cut a geometry in GATE?

To cut a geometry in GATE, you will first need to open the geometry file in the GATE software. Then, select the geometry you want to cut and click on the "Cut" tool. You can then use the tool to draw a line or shape on the geometry that you want to cut. Once you have drawn the line, click on the "Cut" button again to complete the cut.

2. Can I cut multiple geometries at once in GATE?

Yes, you can cut multiple geometries at once in GATE by selecting all the geometries you want to cut and using the "Cut" tool on all of them simultaneously. This will create a cut on all the selected geometries at the same time.

3. What happens to the cut pieces in GATE?

When you cut a geometry in GATE, the cut pieces will be separated and become individual geometries. They will remain in the same position as the original geometry, but you can move them around and manipulate them independently.

4. Can I undo a cut in GATE?

Yes, you can undo a cut in GATE by using the "Undo" button or by pressing "Ctrl + Z" on your keyboard. This will revert the geometry back to its original state before the cut was made.

5. Is there a way to cut a geometry without affecting the original file?

Yes, you can make a copy of the original geometry file and make the cuts on the copy instead. This way, the original file will remain intact and you can always refer back to it if needed.