How to culculate rms current using Watts in a Household Curcuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a household circuit with three lamps, each with different wattages. The question is how to calculate the current and resistance for each bulb. The conversation mentions the equations V=IR and P=W/t, and the individual also suggests using Ohm's law. It is eventually determined that the voltage for a standard US household circuit is 120V and that can be used to calculate the current for each bulb using the equation P=VI.
jmmckiss

Homework Statement

Three lamps are connected in a household curcuit. Lamps 1 and 2 have 150W bulbs and lamp 3 has a 100W bulb. What is the Current (I) and Resistance (R) of each bulb?

Homework Equations

V=IR P = W/t = (V*q)t = V*I

I= q/t V= W/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Lamp 1
V=150W*1.6*10^-19 C?

i'm not sure how to do this exactly. my teacher didn't explain very thoroughly. No time variable is given, no voltage, or current. I don't know how I can use Ohm's law.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you assume standard household voltage ( like in India it is 220V rms)?

YEp!

I can assume a voltage, for the US household curcuot it's 120 V, and I can plug that into the P=VI to get my answer.Thanks!

Just for info - It can't be done any other way. You have to know the voltage.

I would first clarify some missing information in the problem. Without the time variable, it is not possible to calculate the current (I) using the given equation I=q/t. This equation requires the charge (q) and time (t) to be known. Additionally, the voltage (V) is also needed to use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance (R).

In a household circuit, the voltage is typically 120V, so I will assume this value for the rest of my explanation. Using the given power (P) and voltage (V) for each lamp, we can calculate the current (I) using the equation P=VI.

For Lamp 1: I=150W/120V = 1.25A
For Lamp 2: I=150W/120V = 1.25A
For Lamp 3: I=100W/120V = 0.83A

To calculate the resistance (R) of each bulb, we can rearrange Ohm's law to R=V/I. Using the calculated currents for each lamp, we get:

For Lamp 1: R=120V/1.25A = 96Ω
For Lamp 2: R=120V/1.25A = 96Ω
For Lamp 3: R=120V/0.83A = 144Ω

It is important to note that these calculations assume the bulbs are connected in parallel, meaning they each have the same voltage across them (120V). If they were connected in series, the voltage would be divided between them and the calculations would be different.

In conclusion, the current (I) and resistance (R) for each bulb in the household circuit can be calculated using the given power (P) and voltage (V) values. However, it is important to clarify any missing information and understand the circuit configuration before attempting these calculations.

Related to How to culculate rms current using Watts in a Household Curcuit

What is the formula for calculating RMS current in a household circuit?

The formula for calculating RMS (Root Mean Square) current in a household circuit is IRMS = P / V, where IRMS is the RMS current, P is the power in watts, and V is the voltage in volts.

Why is it important to calculate RMS current in a household circuit?

Calculating RMS current allows us to determine the effective current in a household circuit, which is important for safety reasons and for understanding the overall power consumption of the circuit.

Is there a difference between RMS current and average current in a household circuit?

Yes, there is a difference between RMS current and average current in a household circuit. RMS current takes into account the fluctuations in the current, while average current only considers the average value. This is important because household circuits often have alternating current, which fluctuates in a sinusoidal pattern.

What is the typical RMS current in a household circuit?

The typical RMS current in a household circuit depends on the power rating of the appliances and devices connected to the circuit. It can range from a few amps for smaller circuits to 20-30 amps for larger circuits.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when calculating RMS current in a household circuit?

Yes, it is important to exercise caution when dealing with electricity and to follow proper safety protocols. Make sure to turn off the circuit before performing any calculations, and always use appropriate equipment and tools. If you are unsure about how to calculate RMS current, it is best to consult a professional electrician.