How to Create Tetramers or Hexamers from a 96-Base Long DNA Sequence?

In summary, he is trying to clone the sequence by cutting it out with sticky ends, ligating and transforming bacteria. It is a LOT of work and he needs to watch out that he doesn't form circular plasmids during the ligation step.
karthik3k
I have a DNA sequence of 96 bases long.
I want to make a tetramer/hexamer of this sequence.
Is there any standard protocol available for this?

Biology news on Phys.org
It is the best thing I could found

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WBK-45PMJV4-2H&_coverDate=11%2F30%2F1994&_alid=226736773&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=6713&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=782f92ac3f85811a2a132b8525f70882

I once did it by cloning the sequence in a vector, make lots of it by transforming some bacteria, cut it out with sticky ends, ligate, run on gel and cut out the correct size (you'll see a ladder), put back into a vector, put into bacteria and then you can do a pcr if you wish. It's a LOT of work and you need to watch out that you don't form circular plasmids during the ligation step.

You could look up some LONG SAGE protocols, they have a step where they form concatamers.

circular? yeah... that's wat i was worried about...

How can i avoid it?

N i couldn't have the paper specified above :( ( No subscription...!)

actually i have got a sequence and its complementary sequence with extra 4 bases on both the sides(5' n 3'). n i want 2 create tetramer of this sequence thru ligation.

Is it possible ?

The orginal sequence is of less than 80 bases.

Any ideas ?

thanks in advance! :)

I can not get to the article myself.. you could try your university library and see if they can get it for you.

I found it all to be very tricky, but you must try to do the ligation at a very high concentration of the short pieces of DNA: it will be more likely that a short piece of DNA will attach itself, than it would be for the concatamer to close itself.

Try looking up articles on long sage and see how they do this step.

I tried hard to get a concatamer of 100 and 200 bp building blocks.. I did get the ladder, but was unable to clone it: because the concats were circularized.

Another option might be to use CIP (calf intestine alkaline phosphatase) on the DNA, it will dephosphorylate the one end of DNA so that it can't circularize.. good luck ;)

ps, try partial digestions of the circularized concats (if you've got enough).. that might give good results too.

Monique said:
I can not get to the article myself.. you could try your university library and see if they can get it for you.

I have send the article couple days ago

Related to How to Create Tetramers or Hexamers from a 96-Base Long DNA Sequence?

1. What are multimers of DNA sequence?

Multimers of DNA sequence are multiple copies of the same DNA sequence that are arranged in a repeating pattern. This can occur naturally, such as in tandem repeat sequences, or can be artificially created in the laboratory.

2. How are multimers of DNA sequence formed?

Multimers of DNA sequence are formed through a process called DNA replication, where the DNA sequence is copied and the resulting copies are arranged in a repeating pattern. Other methods, such as PCR, can also be used to artificially create multimers of DNA sequence.

3. What are the applications of multimers of DNA sequence?

Multimers of DNA sequence have various applications in research, such as in cloning, gene expression studies, and genetic engineering. They can also be used in forensic analysis and paternity testing.

4. How are multimers of DNA sequence different from mutations?

Multimers of DNA sequence are different from mutations in that mutations involve changes or alterations in the DNA sequence, while multimers are simply multiple copies of the same sequence. Mutations can have functional consequences, while multimers do not necessarily affect the function of the DNA sequence.

5. Can multimers of DNA sequence be used as genetic markers?

Yes, multimers of DNA sequence can be used as genetic markers, as they are unique to an individual and can be used to distinguish between individuals. This is particularly useful in forensic analysis and paternity testing.