How to create electricity by pumping CO2 through water?

In summary: So the concentrator is a way to store energy, not to produce it.In summary, the conversation discussed a project for creating an alternative source of energy for a country. The idea was to utilize CO2 emissions from fermentation in wine making processes to generate electricity by pumping the CO2 through water. Links to articles and information on this concept were shared. However, it was determined that this method may not be worth pursuing as it would require a large amount of energy and there are other more efficient options available. Additionally, a CO2 concentrator cell was mentioned, which is a way to store energy, not produce it.
Tony Novelli
I am currently working on a project for school where we need to create an alternative source of energy for a country. My country is Italy and I thought of the idea of utilizing the CO2 emissions from the fermentation in wine making processes. I know you can use CO2 emissions to create more power by pumping the CO2 through water. So I was wondering how i could create a small demonstration that actually can push the CO2 through the water to generate extra electricity and then harvest the electricity in a usable state. Here is link to the article I found on this http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/waste-co2-could-be-source-of-extra-power/ and this is a link for a schematic and more information. Environmental Science and Technology Letters

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tony Novelli said:
I am currently working on a project for school where we need to create an alternative source of energy for a country. My country is Italy and I thought of the idea of utilizing the CO2 emissions from the fermentation in wine making processes. I know you can use CO2 emissions to create more power by pumping the CO2 through water. So I was wondering how i could create a small demonstration that actually can push the CO2 through the water to generate extra electricity and then harvest the electricity in a usable state. Here is link to the article I found on this http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/waste-co2-could-be-source-of-extra-power/ and this is a link for a schematic and more information. Environmental Science and Technology Letters

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Interesting -- I hadn't seen that before. The article is from late 2013, have you seen any newer publications about it? Has anybody made prototypes? It would seem to be a pretty complicated thing to make as a project for school. What kind of lab facilities do you have available?

berkeman said:
Interesting -- I hadn't seen that before. The article is from late 2013, have you seen any newer publications about it? Has anybody made prototypes? It would seem to be a pretty complicated thing to make as a project for school. What kind of lab facilities do you have available?

The reason you haven't seen it before is that it probably isn't worth doing. Read the comments on that article.

Let's assume that compressing and bubbling this gas through water didn't cost anything. It actually is quite expensive, but humor me for a minute. They're talking about milliWatts per square meter. Someone dropped a prefix somewhere...

Likes CalcNerd and berkeman
I don't think it is worth doing either.

CO2 is near the bottom of the chemical potential energy list - that's why you get so much energy from combusting C or CO.

Nernst Equation
Concentration Cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nernst_equation

I am sure those have been heard of before.

Sample application - pH meter,
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-ph-meters-work.html

Is Slide Show OK here ? for the CO2 emission battery
http://www.slideshare.net/dutchpower/bert-hamelers-energyfrom-co2

Also, here is the reverse - a CO2 concentrator cell that will capture CO2 from the atmosphere or stack emissions and concentrate the %.
http://www.parc.com/content/attachments/P2009086-Electrochemical-CO2-Capture-Cleantech09.pdf

I've got to run but the CO2 concentrator consumes energy. Just from the title + the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, one can deduce it: if you want to reduce the entropy you must invest energy into it.

Related to How to create electricity by pumping CO2 through water?

1. How does pumping CO2 through water create electricity?

When CO2 is pumped through water, it reacts with the water molecules to form carbonic acid. This reaction releases protons, which are positively charged particles. The separation of positive and negative charges creates an electric potential, which can be harnessed to generate electricity.

2. What materials are needed to create this type of electricity?

You will need a source of CO2, such as a carbon dioxide cylinder, and a container of water. Additionally, you will need an anode and a cathode, which are electrodes that conduct electricity, and a membrane to separate the two electrodes and prevent the gases from mixing.

3. Can any type of water be used for this process?

Yes, any type of water can be used. However, the quality of the water may affect the efficiency of the process. Pure water, without any impurities, will produce the most electricity. However, even tap water can be used to generate some electricity.

4. How efficient is this method of creating electricity?

The efficiency of this process varies depending on the setup and conditions. Generally, it is not as efficient as other methods of generating electricity, such as fossil fuel power plants. However, it is a renewable source of energy and does not produce harmful emissions.

5. What are the potential applications of this technology?

This method of generating electricity has potential applications in areas where there is an excess of CO2, such as industrial plants or power plants. It can also be used as a form of carbon capture and storage, as the captured CO2 can be pumped through water to generate electricity. Additionally, it can be used in remote or off-grid locations as a small-scale source of renewable energy.