How to convert XRD results in .txt format to .dat or others?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of converting XRD data from .txt format to compatible formats such as .dat or .xy for use in the QualX software. The suggestion is made to use a short piece of computer code to convert the data, and another suggestion is to change the file extension to one that is accepted by the software. The conversation ends with the mention of a free software, PowDLL, that can be used to convert XRD files to Excel.
Baho Ilok
I had some precipitate samples analyzed for XRD and the operator sent me the results in .txt format containing the 2θ and intensity data. I want to plug the data to QualX software but apparently it cannot read data in that format. Is there any way to convert the data to compatible formats (e.g., .dat, .xy)?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't got a specific answer to your question but on many occasions I have written short pieces of computer code to convert data from one format to another .

If you have the two relevant data formats available it is not usually difficult to devise a conversion algorithm .

Baho Ilok said:
I had some precipitate samples analyzed for XRD and the operator sent me the results in .txt format containing the 2θ and intensity data. I want to plug the data to QualX software but apparently it cannot read data in that format. Is there any way to convert the data to compatible formats (e.g., .dat, .xy)?

Thanks!
Are you sure it can't? It looks to me like you can just use the "import" function and that it looks for ASCII format, which is what text files are.

Nidum said:
I haven't got a specific answer to your question but on many occasions I have written short pieces of computer code to convert data from one format to another .

If you have the two relevant data formats available it is not usually difficult to devise a conversion algorithm .
Sadly, I am not as skilled in programming as I would like to be. But thank you for your suggestion!

russ_watters said:
Are you sure it can't? It looks to me like you can just use the "import" function and that it looks for ASCII format, which is what text files are.
Yes I have tried it already. It still can't see the .txt files in the folder I put them. By the way, I am using the QualX version 2.17.

Baho Ilok said:
Yes I have tried it already. It still can't see the .txt files in the folder I put them. By the way, I am using the QualX version 2.17.
Try just changing the file extension to one it accepts.

Likes Baho Ilok
russ_watters said:
Try just changing the file extension to one it accepts.
Wow. Simple as that. Thank you so much!

Likes russ_watters
you can see the how to convert XRD file to excel using PowDLL a free software

Related to How to convert XRD results in .txt format to .dat or others?

1. How do I convert XRD results in .txt format to .dat or other file formats?

To convert XRD results from .txt format to .dat or other file formats, you can use a software program specifically designed for XRD data analysis, such as Jade or Origin. These programs allow you to import and export data in various file formats, including .dat. Alternatively, you can use a scripting language like Python or R to manipulate and convert the data.

2. Why do I need to convert XRD results to .dat format?

.dat is a commonly used file format for storing and sharing XRD data. It is a simple and universal format that can be easily read by different software programs. Converting XRD results to .dat format ensures that your data can be accessed and analyzed by others without compatibility issues.

3. Can I convert XRD results to other file formats besides .dat?

Yes, you can convert XRD results to a variety of file formats, such as .csv, .xls, .xlsx, .txt, and more. The specific options may depend on the software program you are using for data analysis.

4. What are the benefits of converting XRD results to .dat format?

Converting XRD results to .dat format makes it easier to share and collaborate on data analysis with others. It also allows for easier data manipulation and visualization, as many software programs have built-in tools for working with .dat files.

5. Is it possible to convert XRD results to .dat format without specialized software?

Yes, it is possible to convert XRD results to .dat format using a scripting language like Python or R. However, using specialized software designed for XRD data analysis may offer more efficient and accurate conversions.