How to 'convert' from physicist to electrical engineer

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has completed their bachelor's degree in physics and wants to switch to electrical engineering. They have been accepted into graduate school for electrical engineering but want to know which undergraduate courses they should take in order to fully convert themselves to an electrical engineer. The person wants to focus on areas related to physics, but also wants to take remedial courses in traditional electrical engineering topics. Some recommended compulsory courses include analog and digital communication, computer networks, control systems, semiconductor devices, and microelectronic circuits analysis and design. The speaker also mentions a website, nanohub.org, where physics and electrical engineering intersect.
yllihp
Here's the situation. I finished my bachelors in physics last year, and I want to ‘convert’ from a physicist to an electrical engineer. Now that I’ve got grad school offers (MS) in electrical engineering, how do I actually go about converting myself to an electrical engineer?

I’m planning to concentrate on the more ‘physics-oriented’ areas (e.g. solid state, quantum, nanotechnology, etc.), which I pretty much have the prerequisites for, so I actually don’t have to take any undergrad remedial courses...But I would still like to take remedial undergrad classes in the more 'traditional' electrical engineering areas, so that I can actually call myself an electrical engineer…

The question is, which undergrad classes should I take? What kinds of topics are ‘compulsory’ for an electrical engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The key here is that you want to focus on certain fields pertaining actually to physics rather than ee which make the experience relaxed and prerequisites met.
I am going through doing the inverse of what you're doing (ee bachelor >> phys. msc).

Compulsory courses in my opinion should be analog & digital communication, computer networks, control systems/theory, semiconductor devices (if you didn't do it during your physics undergrad), microelectronic circuits analysis & design + VLSI (typically VLSI is introduced in the third or fourth year of ee).

I am not sure whether you know about www.nanohub.org , but its where physics & ee meet.

Related to How to 'convert' from physicist to electrical engineer

What is the main difference between physics and electrical engineering?

The main difference between physics and electrical engineering is their focus. Physics is a broad science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature, while electrical engineering is a more specialized field that applies these laws to the design and development of electrical systems and devices.

Do I need to have a background in math to become an electrical engineer?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary to become an electrical engineer. This includes calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. These mathematical concepts are essential for understanding and solving complex electrical engineering problems.

What skills do I need to have to successfully transition from physics to electrical engineering?

Some of the key skills that are important for a successful transition from physics to electrical engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism.

Do I need to pursue additional education or training to become an electrical engineer?

It depends on your current level of education and experience. If you have a degree in physics, you may need to take additional courses in electrical engineering to gain the necessary knowledge and skills. If you have a strong background in math and science, you may be able to pursue a graduate degree in electrical engineering without needing to complete a full undergraduate program.

What are some potential career paths for someone transitioning from physics to electrical engineering?

There are many potential career paths for someone transitioning from physics to electrical engineering. Some common options include working in the fields of electronics, power systems, telecommunications, or control systems. You could also pursue a career in research and development or teaching in an academic setting.