How to Convert Acetic Acid to Propanoic Acid Without Cyanide?

• Thread starter deep838
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, acetic acid and propanoic acid are organic compounds that belong to the carboxylic acid family. They are related through a chemical reaction called esterification, where acetic acid can be converted into propanoic acid. Propanoic acid has many industrial uses, but both chemicals should be handled with caution due to their corrosive nature.
deep838
Without using a cyanide

Physics news on Phys.org
What other methods of chain homologation do you know?

i was thinking of acetyl chloride and then N-methylethanamide... that will give me 3 carbons... but then how to get rid of nitrogen and bring OH?

Can you draw some structures? Seems like N-methylacetamide has the wrong carbon backbone too.

yeah... that's where I'm stuck... i really have no idea on how to bring the carbon inside!

how about this:
acetyl chloride then diazoketone then wolff rearrangement and then water! right?

Last edited:

Related to How to Convert Acetic Acid to Propanoic Acid Without Cyanide?

1. What is acetic acid and propanoic acid?

Acetic acid and propanoic acid are both organic compounds that belong to the carboxylic acid family. Acetic acid is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor and is commonly known as vinegar. Propanoic acid is also a colorless liquid with a sour odor and is found in certain types of cheese.

2. How are acetic acid and propanoic acid related?

Acetic acid can be converted into propanoic acid through a chemical reaction known as esterification. This involves reacting acetic acid with an alcohol and a catalyst to produce propanoic acid and water.

3. What are the industrial uses of propanoic acid?

Propanoic acid has many industrial uses, including being used as a preservative in food and beverages, as a precursor for pharmaceuticals and plastics, and as a solvent in the production of dyes and perfumes.

4. Is acetic acid to propanoic acid conversion reversible?

Yes, the reaction between acetic acid and an alcohol to produce propanoic acid is reversible. This means that propanoic acid can also be converted back to acetic acid under certain conditions.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with acetic acid and propanoic acid?

Both acetic acid and propanoic acid are corrosive and can cause skin and eye irritation. It is important to handle these chemicals with caution and use protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when working with them.