How to Convert a Velocity-Time Graph to a Position-Time Graph?

• Thread starter pebbles3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating displacements from a velocity-time graph to create a position-time graph. The individual first converted all velocities to match the time and then calculated the displacements for each segment of the graph. They also attached a position-time graph and asked for confirmation on its accuracy. The expert confirmed that the general idea was correct.
pebbles3

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the displacements from a velocity-time graph to make a position-time graph.
The velocity-time graph from the question is attached.

Homework Equations

d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the values for a position-time graph, I first converted all the velocities from km/h to km/min to match the time.
The truck travels at 70 km/h (1.16 km/min) for 10 mins: 1.16 x 10 = 11.6
It then travels at 80 km/h (1.33 km/min) for 30 mins: 1.33 x 30 = 40
It then travels at 75 km/h (1.125 km/min) for 5 mins: 1.25 x 5 = 6.25
It then travels at 60 km/h (1.0 km/min) for 2.5 mins: 1.0 x 2.5 = 2.5
And then travels at 55 km/h (0.9 km/min) for 22.5 mins: 0.91 x 22.5 = 20.6

I drew a position-time graph which is attached. I just want to know if I did this right because the graph I made looks a little weird to me.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the truck keeps traveling in the same direction, how is it that your position graph shows it reversing direction?

phinds said:
Since the truck keeps traveling in the same direction, how is it that your position graph shows it reversing direction?

Ah, I think I've got it now. Does this look right?

Attachments

• 3 (2).jpg
    3 (2).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 444
I didn't check the details but that's certainly the right idea.

Ok, thanks!

Related to How to Convert a Velocity-Time Graph to a Position-Time Graph?

1. What is a V/T graph?

A V/T graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between velocity (V) and time (T). It shows how the velocity of an object changes over time.

2. What is a P/T graph?

A P/T graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and time (T). It shows how the pressure of a system changes over time.

3. How do you convert a V/T graph to a P/T graph?

To convert a V/T graph to a P/T graph, you can use the formula P = MV, where M is the mass of the object and V is the velocity. You can then plot the pressure values on the y-axis and the time values on the x-axis to create a P/T graph.

4. What does the slope of a V/T graph represent?

The slope of a V/T graph represents the acceleration of the object. A steep slope indicates a high acceleration, while a shallow slope indicates a low acceleration.

5. How are V/T and P/T graphs related?

V/T and P/T graphs are related because both represent the change of a physical quantity over time. In a V/T graph, the physical quantity is velocity, while in a P/T graph, it is pressure. The two graphs can also be converted into each other using the formula P = MV.