How to control velocity in a conical pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on horizontal circular motion where the independent variable is mass and the dependent variable is angle. The velocity can be controlled using the formula 2πr/T, but there is confusion on how to use it for two unknowns (r and T). It is suggested to use trigonometry to find r and measure T with a stopwatch. It is also noted that the velocity cannot be controlled, only calculated using the given formula.
May

Homework Statement

I'm doing an EPI on horizontal circular motion and for one test the independent variable is mass and I need to control the velocity by using the 2πr/T formula. So I know how to use the forumula to find an unknown but how do I use it for two unknowns (r and T). Is there a forumula with M in it that would help?. Because the r will be different for the different masses and so will the T. I'm really confusing myself now, but I guess my question is how do I control velocity in the experiment.

IV: mass, length of string
CV: velocity ...
DV: angle

P.S I'll be spinning it by hand and don't have access to a velocity measuring device (unless its an app or something)

Am I missing the point completely?

Thanks for any help you can give

Physics news on Phys.org
You use ##v=2\pi r/T## to find the velocity, not control it.
You can find r using some trigonometry and you measure T with a stopwatch.

Related to How to control velocity in a conical pendulum

What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that moves in a circular motion instead of a back and forth motion. It consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point and swings in a horizontal circle.

How does the angle of the string affect the velocity of a conical pendulum?

The angle of the string determines the speed at which the mass moves in a circular motion. The smaller the angle, the faster the velocity of the pendulum. As the angle increases, the velocity decreases.

What factors affect the velocity of a conical pendulum?

The velocity of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the object, and the angle of the string. A longer string or a heavier mass will result in a slower velocity, while a shorter string or a lighter mass will result in a faster velocity.

How can the velocity of a conical pendulum be controlled?

The velocity of a conical pendulum can be controlled by adjusting the length of the string or the mass of the object. Changing the angle of the string can also affect the velocity, as mentioned before.

What is the relationship between velocity and centripetal force in a conical pendulum?

In a conical pendulum, the centripetal force is responsible for keeping the mass moving in a circular motion. The velocity of the pendulum is directly proportional to the centripetal force, meaning that an increase in velocity will result in an increase in centripetal force.