How to combine two lines in one in mechanical sketches

In summary: Yes, it might not need but for exploring the interface and operation, I would like to learn it.But that command or constraint, I do not know how I can call, probably have a common symbol or or name. Would you explain it?There is a command called "join" in most CAD systems. It will most likely have a similar name.There is a command called "join" in most CAD systems. It will most likely have a similar name.
mech-eng
Would somebody explain how to combine two lines into one? I think this is a CAD question. It's from Ansys's DesignModeler, Geometry Engine.

I would like to make lines 1 which is at the right hand side like 2 which is left hand side of the L-shape object.

In that program there are options like in AutoCAD.

line problem.png

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Would somebody explain how to combine two lines into one? I think this is a CAD question. It's from Ansys's DesignModeler, Geometry Engine.

I would like to make lines 1 which is at the right hand side like 2 which is left hand side of the L-shape object.

In that program there are options like in AutoCAD.

View attachment 204238

Thank you.
When you say "combine", do you mean "group" like in Visio? Does AutoCAD have a "group" function?

berkeman said:
When you say "combine", do you mean "group" like in Visio? Does AutoCAD have a "group" function?

I cannot explain it properly. I mean they are two lines added end to end but I want to make them one line. How can I get rid of that thing to which arrow is pointing?

Is it O.K now?

Thank you.

Unselect the line?

Oh I see...

Probably easier just to delete them and replace with one new line.

Likes mech-eng
CWatters said:
Probably easier just to delete them and replace with one new line.

+1

CAD systems do normally have a comprehensive range of tools for joining and splitting lines . Very useful sometimes but not really needed for this simple task .

eg

FEA systems usually have specific tools for adding , deleting and moving nodes .

Last edited:
Likes mech-eng
Nidum said:
+1

CAD systems do normally have a comprehensive range of tools for joining and splitting lines . Very useful sometimes but not really needed for this simple task .

eg

FEA systems usually have specific tools for adding , deleting and moving nodes .

Yes, it might not need but for exploring the interface and operation, I would like to learn it.

But that command or constraint, I do not know how I can call, probably have a common symbol or or name. Would you explain it?

Thank you.

Related to How to combine two lines in one in mechanical sketches

1. Can I combine two lines in a mechanical sketch without erasing the original lines?

Yes, it is possible to combine two lines in a mechanical sketch without erasing the original lines. This can be achieved by using the "Join" or "Trim" tool in your chosen drafting software. These tools allow you to connect two lines and create a single, continuous line without deleting the original lines.

2. How do I combine two lines in a mechanical sketch to create a new shape?

To combine two lines in a mechanical sketch to create a new shape, you can use the "Trim" tool to trim the ends of the lines and create a new intersection point. Then, you can use the "Join" tool to connect the new intersection point with the remaining lines. This will create a new shape by combining the two lines.

3. What is the difference between merging and combining two lines in a mechanical sketch?

Merging and combining two lines in a mechanical sketch are similar techniques, but they have slightly different outcomes. Merging involves connecting two lines at their endpoints, while combining involves connecting two lines at any point along their length. Merging results in a single line, while combining results in a new shape.

4. Is it possible to combine more than two lines in a mechanical sketch?

Yes, it is possible to combine more than two lines in a mechanical sketch. This can be done by using the same methods as combining two lines – using the "Join" or "Trim" tool to connect multiple lines and create a new shape. You can also use the "Merge" tool to merge multiple lines into a single line.

5. Can I combine lines in a mechanical sketch that have different lengths or angles?

Yes, you can combine lines in a mechanical sketch that have different lengths or angles. The "Join" or "Trim" tool will automatically adjust the length or angle of the lines to create a single, continuous line. However, keep in mind that this may alter the original proportions or dimensions of your sketch, so double-check your work before finalizing the combination.