How to Combine Stress Concentrations for Multiple Keyways on a Shaft?

In summary, shaft stress concentration is a phenomenon where stress is significantly higher at certain points in a shaft due to changes in geometry, such as diameter or sharp corners. This can greatly reduce the strength and durability of a shaft, leading to failure. To reduce shaft stress concentration, methods such as using fillets or more ductile materials can be used. It can be calculated using analytical methods or finite element analysis, but factors such as material properties and loading conditions must be considered.
robs314
Hello

I have done a Soderberg shaft design calculation, taking into account the stress concentration for a keyway. However, I've just noticed that I might need to adapt this for a feather type keyseat, or 2 (parallel, 180deg apart) keyways in the same cross section.

I'm sure I read somewhere about how to combine the stress concentrations in this situation, but I can't find where I read it. Does anyone know off the top of their heads?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try Machinery's Handbook. I don't have it in front of me, but it has a lot of information on stress concentrations.

Related to How to Combine Stress Concentrations for Multiple Keyways on a Shaft?

1. What is shaft stress concentration?

Shaft stress concentration is a phenomenon where the stress in a shaft is significantly higher at certain points, typically at changes in diameter or at sharp corners, compared to the average stress in the shaft.

2. What causes shaft stress concentration?

Shaft stress concentration is caused by changes in geometry, such as changes in diameter or sharp corners, that disrupt the smooth flow of stress through the shaft. This results in stress being concentrated at these points, leading to higher stress levels.

3. How does shaft stress concentration affect the strength of a shaft?

Shaft stress concentration can significantly reduce the strength and durability of a shaft. The high stress levels at the points of concentration can lead to cracking, fatigue failure, and ultimately, catastrophic failure of the shaft.

4. What are some common methods of reducing shaft stress concentration?

There are several methods that can be used to reduce shaft stress concentration, including using fillets or gradual changes in diameter to smooth out the stress flow, using more ductile materials, and avoiding sharp corners or notches in the shaft design.

5. How can shaft stress concentration be calculated or analyzed?

Shaft stress concentration can be calculated using analytical methods, such as the stress concentration factor formula, or by using finite element analysis (FEA). It is important to consider factors such as material properties, geometry, and loading conditions when analyzing shaft stress concentration.