How to clone git repo and run a code in repo directory

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary: I can run it without a problem, but I want to change some things on the custom.css file.However, when I change that file, I need to do something called development installation. However, I have no idea how to do it properly. I mean, what steps should I follow to do that.First, I need to clone a repo, but I don't even know how to do that. And then it says type thisnpm installjupyter labextension link .in repo directory.I looked to Google, and it seems that I need to download git bash? Is that what is wanted from the development installation?It seems that you
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have downloaded JupyterLab Neon Theme, and I can run it without a problem, but I want to change some things on the custom.css file.

However, when I change that file, I need to do something called development installation. However, I have no idea how to do it properly. I mean, what steps should I follow to do that. First, I need to clone a repo, but I don't even know how to do that. And then it says type this
Code:
npm install
jupyter labextension link .
in repo directory.

I looked to Google, and it seems that I need to download git bash? Is that what is wanted from the development installation?

Note: I am using Windows 10

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Are you very comfortable with the command prompt? If not I suggest that you use a GUI to help you with this.

My recommendation would be the built-in Git functionality of Visual Studio Code https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/versioncontrol, or you could try GitHub Desktop.

You will also need to install Node.js which contains what you need for the npm install command to work: https://nodejs.org/ (choose the LTS version).

I also recommend you set up a directory at the root of your C:\ drive (or another drive) called C:\Projects or whatever and do anything involving Git or Node in subdirectories of this (a single Git command, or a 'npm install' can create or update hundreds or even thousands of files; this doesn't play well with whatever backup strategy you have for your Users\Arman\My Documents, and Search will slow your machine to a crawl.

Likes Arman777
pbuk said:
Are you very comfortable with the command prompt? If not I suggest that you use a GUI to help you with this.

My recommendation would be the built-in Git functionality of Visual Studio Code https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/versioncontrol, or you could try GitHub Desktop.

You will also need to install Node.js which contains what you need for the npm install command to work: https://nodejs.org/ (choose the LTS version).

I also recommend you set up a directory at the root of your C:\ drive (or another drive) called C:\Projects or whatever and do anything involving Git or Node in subdirectories of this (a single Git command, or a 'npm install' can create or update hundreds or even thousands of files; this doesn't play well with whatever backup strategy you have for your Users\Arman\My Documents, and Search will slow your machine to a crawl.
Thanks a lot. It seems that I manage to what I wanted to do without these steps. The bad parts is I hope this/these type of extensions do not contain some sort of virus...My computer gone crazy while I was working on jupyterlab and ı had to just close the computer and restart it again.

I have downloaded this thing https://github.com/timkpaine/jupyterlab_miami_nights which is just and updated version of the JupyterLab Neon Theme

Related to How to clone git repo and run a code in repo directory

1. How do I clone a git repository?

To clone a git repository, you can use the command git clone [repository URL] in your terminal. Make sure you have git installed on your computer before attempting to clone a repository.

2. How do I change into the cloned repository directory?

After cloning the repository, use the command cd [repository name] to change into the repository directory.

3. How do I run the code in the cloned repository?

To run the code in the repository, first make sure you have all the necessary dependencies and libraries installed. Then, use the appropriate command for your language or framework to run the code. For example, if the code is in Python, you can use python [file name].py to run it.

4. How do I update the cloned repository with changes from the remote repository?

You can use the command git pull to update the cloned repository with any changes that have been made in the remote repository. This will fetch and merge the changes into your local repository.

5. How do I contribute to the cloned repository?

If you want to contribute to the cloned repository, you can make changes to the code locally and then push those changes to the remote repository using the command git push. You may need to fork the repository and create a pull request if you do not have direct access to the remote repository.