How to Clarify Sylow Subgroup Intersections in a Group of Order 48?

• Thread starter Ad Infinitum NAU
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has returned after a long absence and is currently studying Math/Physics. They have been working on a problem involving three 2-Sylow subgroups of a group G with |G| = 48, and are trying to prove that the intersection of these subgroups all have the same order. They have found a homomorphism and are considering using an automorphism to prove their solution. They receive help from another member and realize the solution was right in front of them.
Ad Infinitum NAU
Hello all.. It's been quite some time since I've been here, so I doubt any of you remember me.

Anyhow, I'll get to my discussion..

I'm graduating in May with my BS in Math/Physics. I'm currently doing independent studies in Coding Theory as well as some higher abstract algebra.

I've been working on a problem I found in an old Abstract Algebra book for 3.5 weeks now and I finally have it solved but my details aren't clear enough for my satisfaction.

The detail I'm trying to pretty-up is: I've got three 2-Sylow subgroups of a group G where |G| = 48, and so the orders of the Hi's are 16 (where the Hi's are the 2-Sylow subgroups. I would like to show that |H1 intersect H2| = |H1 intersect H3| = |H2 intersect H3|

any idears?

Physics news on Phys.org
aren't all the sylow subgroups conjugate to each other? does that help?

Yes, they are.. I've worked up to getting a homomorphism where: there is a g in G such that g*(H1 int H2)g^(-1) = H2 int H3, g*(H1 int H3)g^(-1) = H1 int H2, and g*(H2 int H3)g^(-1) = H1 int H3...

well? does that do it?

I can't recall all the details of an automorphism.. does it preserve order?

well an automorphism is a bijection that also preserves the group operation. you should be able to capitalize just on the fact it is a bijection.

I'm an idiot.. ha.. I love it when it's staring you right in the face like that haha.. thanks wonk.

it is indeed a pleasure to be of service.

Related to How to Clarify Sylow Subgroup Intersections in a Group of Order 48?

1. How do I approach a difficult math or physics problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, break down the problem into smaller parts and use any relevant formulas or principles to solve each part before putting them together for the final solution.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you find yourself stuck on a problem, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes taking a fresh look at the problem can help you see it in a different way. You can also try working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

3. How do I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

After solving the problem, it is important to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or using a different approach to solve the problem. Double-check your calculations and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a math or physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not reading the problem carefully, using incorrect formulas or principles, making calculation errors, and forgetting to include units in your final answer. It is also important to remember to check your work and not skip steps.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math and physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. Work on a variety of problems, including ones that are challenging. Seek help when needed and make sure to understand the principles and formulas used in each problem. You can also try explaining the problem and solution to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.