How to choose math electives for a physic student

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between two pairs of elective math units for a physics major. The first pair is MATLAB and Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations, while the second pair is Algebra and Number Theory and Real Analysis. The individual seeks advice on which pair would be more beneficial for pursuing theoretical or particle physics. The conversation also mentions the importance of all math subjects in theoretical physics and suggests choosing the one that interests them the most. Finally, the conversation concludes with a consideration of whether to prioritize grades or skills when making the decision.
leave
Physic is my major and there are some electives of math units
now...I am in trouble with choosing one pair from these two options:
【MATLAB】+【Advanced ordinary differential equations】
or
【Algebra and number theory】+【Real analysis】

can anyone tell me which one is better for me if I plain to do theoretical physics or particle physics(theoretical) and why

I feel all math are important for theoretical physics but I have to choose one..

thank for help...

ps:
【MATLAB】
Synopsis
Topics covered include error analysis, the solution of algebraic equations; approximations of functions: curve fitting, least squares and interpolation; analysis of data by Fourier Transforms and FFTs; numerical differentiation and integration; ordinary differential equations.

【Advanced ordinary differential equations】
Synopsis
Boundary-value problems: Sturm-Liouville eigenvalues problems and orthogonal polynomials, shooting and direct matrix methods for the numerical investigation of boundary-value problems and iterative matrix methods.
Dynamical systems: analytical and numerical methods for planar autonomous systems, classification of critical points using eigenvalues and eigenvectors and perturbation methods for periodic and nearly periodic motion.

【Algebra and number theory】
Synopsis
Groups in geometry, linear algebra, and number theory; cyclic and abelian groups; permutation groups; subgroups, cosets and normal subgroups; homomorphisms, isomorphisms and the fundamental homomorphism theorem. The Euclidean algorithm, prime factorisation, congruences, the Euler totient function; the theorems of Fermat, Euler and Wilson, and the RSA public key cryptosystem; Chinese remainder theorem; rings, fields and abelian groups in number theory.

【Real analysis】
Synopsis
Real numbers, countable and uncountable sets, paradoxes of the infinite, the Cantor set; compactness and convergence; sequences and series; continuous and differentiable functions; fixed points and contractions; applications to Markov chains, branching processes and integral equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's basically applied vs pure math.
I ended up needing a lot of DEs and computer modelling ... but I'm an experimentalist.
I hear theorists do some of that other stuff.

Do what lights you up.
If they are about equal, then:

Which do you value more: grades or skills?
If grades - do the easier one, otherwise do the hard one.

Related to How to choose math electives for a physic student

1. How do I know which math electives are relevant to my physics studies?

When choosing math electives as a physics student, it is important to consider courses that complement and enhance your understanding of the principles and concepts in physics. Some examples of relevant math electives for physics students include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. It is also helpful to consult with your academic advisor or peers who have already taken math electives to get a better understanding of which courses are most beneficial for your specific academic goals.

2. Are there any specific math electives that are required for a physics degree?

The required math electives for a physics degree may vary depending on the university or program. However, most physics programs typically have a set of math courses that are mandatory for students to take, such as calculus and linear algebra. Some programs may also require courses in differential equations and multivariable calculus. It is important to check with your academic advisor or refer to your program's curriculum to determine the specific math electives that are required for your degree.

3. Can I choose any math elective that interests me, or should I stick to a specific set of courses?

As a physics student, it is important to balance your interests with the courses that will benefit your studies the most. While it is beneficial to choose math electives that align with your academic interests, it is also important to consider courses that will enhance your understanding of physics principles and help you succeed in your major. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor or peers before making a decision.

4. How many math electives should I take as a physics student?

The number of math electives you should take as a physics student depends on your program's requirements and your personal academic goals. Some programs may have a set number of math electives that students must take, while others may allow for more flexibility. It is recommended to discuss this with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate number of math electives for your specific program and academic goals.

5. Can I take math electives from other departments or universities?

It is possible to take math electives from other departments or universities, but it is important to check with your program's guidelines and requirements beforehand. Some programs may have restrictions on the types of courses that can count as math electives for a physics degree, while others may allow for more flexibility. If you are considering taking math electives from other departments or universities, it is recommended to consult with your academic advisor to ensure they will fulfill the requirements for your degree.