How to check this type of weld group?

• Thread starter atlas_2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Type
In summary, the conversation is discussing a welding check and the process for finding the maximum weld stress. The solution involves moving the forces to the geometric center, calculating tension and shear stress, and distributing the results to the x and y directions to find the equivalent stress. The conversation also mentions consulting AISC rules for further information.
atlas_2010
Hello all,

I am not very sure with this kind of weld check, could you give me some help and suggestion?
Details as following:

Given:
Ft=force in y direction
Lt=distance between Ft action point and weld group geometric center(y direction)
Fl=force in x direction
Ll=distance between Fl action point and weld group geometric center(x direction)
L1=weld 1 length
L2=weld 2 length
L3=weld 3 length
t=weld throat
Ix-=moment interia about x axial
Iy-=moment interia about y axial
r=the max distance form center

Soluation
find out the max weld stress
My solution is this,
First move Ft and Fl to the geometric center get the tension and shear stress
Then take tousionT=Ft*Lt+Fl*Ll(or Ft*Lt-Fl*Ll) take the
stress σ=T/(Ix+Iy)*r,and distribute the result to x and y direction,
and finally get eqivualent stress

Am I right?

Thank you for your help and suggestion.

Attachments

• Weld Group.PNG
    Weld Group.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 419
Engineering news on Phys.org
atlas_2010 said:
Hello all,

I am not very sure with this kind of weld check, could you give me some help and suggestion?
Details as following:

Given:
Ft=force in y direction
Lt=distance between Ft action point and weld group geometric center(y direction)
Fl=force in x direction
Ll=distance between Fl action point and weld group geometric center(x direction)
L1=weld 1 length
L2=weld 2 length
L3=weld 3 length
t=weld throat
Ix-=moment interia about x axial
Iy-=moment interia about y axial
r=the max distance form center

Soluation
find out the max weld stress
My solution is this,
First move Ft and Fl to the geometric center get the tension and shear stress
Then take tousionT=Ft*Lt+Fl*Ll(or Ft*Lt-Fl*Ll) take the
stress σ=T/(Ix+Iy)*r,and distribute the result to x and y direction,
and finally get eqivualent stress

Am I right?

Thank you for your help and suggestion.
Hello all,
I found some information in AISC rules,sorry for cann't upload all documents, for detail information please go through the AISC website or contract me.
https://www.aisc.org/search.aspx?id=3852&keyword=weld group

Attachments

• Weld Group Method.pdf
    951.3 KB · Views: 2,200
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to check this type of weld group?

1. What are the different types of welds in a weld group?

The different types of welds in a weld group include fillet welds, groove welds, plug welds, slot welds, and spot welds. Each type of weld serves a specific purpose and is used in different configurations.

2. How do I visually inspect a weld group?

To visually inspect a weld group, you should look for any irregularities such as cracks, porosity, or lack of fusion. You should also check for proper size, shape, and placement of the welds. It is important to have proper lighting and access to all areas of the weld group for an accurate visual inspection.

3. What are some non-destructive testing methods for checking a weld group?

Some non-destructive testing methods for checking a weld group include ultrasonic testing, magnetic particle testing, liquid penetrant testing, and radiographic testing. These methods use different techniques to detect any defects or weaknesses in the weld group without damaging it.

4. How do I determine the quality of a weld group?

The quality of a weld group can be determined by following industry standards and codes, such as those set by the American Welding Society (AWS). These standards outline specific criteria for weld quality, including strength, appearance, and soundness. Additionally, conducting thorough inspections and testing can help determine the overall quality of a weld group.

5. What are the safety precautions to consider when checking a weld group?

Some safety precautions to consider when checking a weld group include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, to avoid exposure to hazardous materials. It is also important to ensure proper ventilation in the work area and follow safety protocols for any equipment or tools used during the inspection process.