Low number of kids passing BC Calc

• Thread starter al2six
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary, the speaker is a freshman in engineering at Purdue who was surprised by the low number of students who passed two semesters of calculus. In their high school of 1000 students, only 4 did not get a 5 on the AP exam for BC calculus. The speaker wonders if their high school is unusual because they never thought so until they got to Purdue. They mention their high school only offered the AB exam and took college-level calculus in their junior year. Senior year focused on other topics such as 3-d geometry, which the speaker considers useless. The speaker also notes that in their area, most students take classes at a local community college rather than advanced math courses in high school.
al2six
this is kind of off topic... but anyway, I'm a freshman in engineering at purdue and i was really suprised by the low number of kids who passed out of 2 semesters of calc like i did. in my high school of about 1000, we had about 40 kids in BC calc. Only 4 didn't get a 5 on the ap exam. is my school something unusual? i never thought it was until i got to purdue and barely anyone had even taken bc calc.

Physics news on Phys.org
My high school had the IB program and we were only able to take the AB exam. I took the college equivalent to first quarter calculus my junior year of high school but we did other stuff senior, like 3-d geometry and other crap that was basically useless.

I know of no high schools around here that offer anything past AB calculus. Everyone takes classes at the local CC.

It is definitely unusual for such a high percentage of students to receive a 5 on the AP exam in BC Calc. Your high school seems to have a strong math program and a high level of academic achievement. However, it is important to remember that every school and student population is different. Some schools may not have as many students taking BC Calc or may have different resources and support for their students. It is also possible that the rigor and expectations of college-level courses at Purdue may have played a role in the lower number of students who have taken BC Calc. Overall, it is great that you were able to excel in BC Calc and it is a testament to your hard work and preparation. Keep up the good work!

What is the significance of a low number of students passing BC Calculus?

A low number of students passing BC Calculus can indicate a variety of issues within the education system. It may suggest a lack of adequate resources for students to learn the material or ineffective teaching methods. It can also indicate a lack of preparation or motivation among the students.

What factors could contribute to a low pass rate in BC Calculus?

Some factors that could contribute to a low pass rate in BC Calculus include inadequate preparation in prerequisite math courses, lack of understanding of the material, and poor study habits. Other factors like a difficult curriculum, limited resources, and a lack of support from teachers or peers can also play a role.

Are there any strategies that can help improve the pass rate in BC Calculus?

There are several strategies that can help improve the pass rate in BC Calculus. These include providing additional resources and support for struggling students, implementing effective teaching methods, and placing a stronger emphasis on prerequisite math courses. Additionally, creating a positive and supportive learning environment can also have a positive impact on students' success.

How does a low pass rate in BC Calculus affect students' future academic pursuits?

A low pass rate in BC Calculus can have a significant impact on students' future academic pursuits. This course is often seen as a crucial step in preparing for higher-level math courses and can also affect college admissions and scholarship opportunities. A low pass rate may also lead to a lack of confidence and discourage students from pursuing STEM-related fields.

What steps can be taken to address a low pass rate in BC Calculus?

To address a low pass rate in BC Calculus, it is important to identify the root causes and develop a plan to address them. This may include providing additional resources and support, implementing new teaching methods, and offering opportunities for students to practice and improve their skills. It is also essential to address any external factors that may be contributing to the low pass rate and create a supportive learning environment for students.