How to change the subject when exponential is involved

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making Pr(x) the subject in the equation T = S [(1-Pr(x))^N] + Pr(x), given that N may not necessarily be an integer. It is mentioned that for N ≥ 5, there are typically no analytic solutions and numerical approximations may be needed. It is suggested that rearranging the equation to involve the Lambert W function may provide a solution, but this may not be feasible without a calculator with a W function key.
MWD02
It's been a long time since I've worried about this - but could someone help me make Pr(x) the subject (I can't remember if it's possible, if it's not, I'd love a brief explanation):

T = S [(1-Pr(x))^N] + Pr(x)

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I should mention N isn't necessarily an integer.

MWD02 said:
It's been a long time since I've worried about this - but could someone help me make Pr(x) the subject (I can't remember if it's possible, if it's not, I'd love a brief explanation):

T = S [(1-Pr(x))^N] + Pr(x)

Thanks in advance!

MWD02 said:
Sorry, I should mention N isn't necessarily an integer.

Hi MWD02! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Even if $N$ would be an integer, for $N\ge 5$ this is a polynomial of at least the 5th degree with at least 3 terms, for which there are typically no 'analytic' solutions.
So I think we're stuck with numerical solutions, meaning we have to make approximations. (Worried)

Ah I was afraid someone would use the word "approximations"!... Oh well, I'll see what I can do for my particular problem.

Thanks very much for the reply! :D

Well, you probably could (I won't try to do it) rearrange the equation so the solution can be written in terms of the "Lambert W function" (defined as the inverse function to [tex]f(x)= xe^x[/tex]) but then your calculator probably does not have a "W function" key!

Related to How to change the subject when exponential is involved

What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical equation in which the variable appears in the exponent. It is commonly written as y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

Why would I need to change the subject in an exponential equation?

Changing the subject in an exponential equation allows you to solve for a different variable than the one given. This can be useful in various applications, such as finding the time it takes for an investment to double or the half-life of a radioactive substance.

How do I change the subject in an exponential equation?

To change the subject in an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. If the variable you want to solve for is in the exponent, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. If the variable is in the base, use the logarithm with a base that cancels out the exponent.

What are the rules for using logarithms in exponential equations?

The rules for using logarithms in exponential equations are:
- The logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors.
- The logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms.
- The logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.
- The logarithm of a base raised to an exponent is equal to the exponent.
- The logarithm of 1 is equal to 0.

Can I use a calculator to change the subject in an exponential equation?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a log function that allows you to easily solve exponential equations. Just be sure to use the correct base for the logarithm when necessary.