How to Calculate Work Done by Kinetic Friction on a Toboggan?

In summary, the toboggan carrying two children with a total mass of 85.0 kg reaches its maximum speed at the bottom of a hill and glides to a stop in 21.0 m on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the toboggan and the snow surface is 0.110. To calculate the work done by kinetic friction, you need to find the frictional force and use an equation relating force and distance to work done. The final answer is -1.90 x 10^3 J.
Jimmer7

Homework Statement

A toboggan carrying two children with a total mass of 85.0 kg reaches its maximum speed at the bottom of a hill, and then glides to a stop in 21.0 m along a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the toboggan and the snow surface is 0.110. Calculate the work done by the kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

W=FCosθΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 85 kg
Δd = 21.0 m
θ = 0
W = ?
Mu = 0.110

I'm pretty confused on this, do I somehow get Mu to Ff and then plug it into the work equation?

The final answer is -1.90 x10^3 J but from what I've tried I never got it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmer7 said:

Homework Statement

A toboggan carrying two children with a total mass of 85.0 kg reaches its maximum speed at the bottom of a hill, and then glides to a stop in 21.0 m along a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the toboggan and the snow surface is 0.110. Calculate the work done by the kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

W=FCosθΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 85 kg
Δd = 21.0 m
θ = 0
W = ?
Mu = 0.110

I'm pretty confused on this, do I somehow get Mu to Ff and then plug it into the work equation?

The final answer is -1.90 x10^3 J but from what I've tried I never got it.

There's no angle in the problem, so your Relevant Equation is not what you need here.

The toboggan is traveling horizontally as it slows to a stop due to friction. So, it looks like you'll need to find the frictional force acting (what equation will you apply?) and then an equation relating force and distance to work done. What equation might that be?

gneill said:
There's no angle in the problem, so your Relevant Equation is not what you need here.

The toboggan is traveling horizontally as it slows to a stop due to friction. So, it looks like you'll need to find the frictional force acting (what equation will you apply?) and then an equation relating force and distance to work done. What equation might that be?

I tried it and I got it right. :)

I did:
FF = M.FN
FN = mg = 85 (9.8)
FF = 0.110 (85 x 9.8) = 91.7235 N
W = (91.7235)(0)(21) = 1926.1935
W = -1.90 x 10^3 J

made it cos180 which made it negative.

Thanks.

Related to How to Calculate Work Done by Kinetic Friction on a Toboggan?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in motion. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to each other.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be put into motion. Kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the two surfaces together, and the smoothness of the surfaces.

4. How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is typically measured by the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio between the force of kinetic friction and the normal force between the two surfaces.

5. What are some real-life examples of kinetic friction?

Some common examples of kinetic friction include the movement of a car on a road, the sliding of a sled down a snowy hill, and the rubbing of hands together to generate heat.