How to Calculate Work Done by a Gas in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the calculation of work done by a gas on a spring, which was previously posted on Physics Forums in 2016. The OP is looking for the link to the original post and other similar posts on the topic.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

Please see the attached image

Homework Equations

pv=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to calculate the work done by the gas in the question and i calculated the change in internal energy.

Attachments

• DSC_0549 (1).JPG
    DSC_0549 (1).JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This same exact problem appeared in Physics Forums a couple of months ago. Does anyone remember who the OP was or what the title was?

Likes gracy
Chestermiller said:
This same exact problem appeared in Physics Forums a couple of months ago. Does anyone remember who the OP was or what the title was?
i would be gratified if you could give me the link sir

vijayramakrishnan said:
i would be gratified if you could give me the link sir
I just don't remember.

It was only that I have much less posts than you, to search :smile:

Likes SammyS
thank you very much sir

SammyS said:
And she comes through, again !
yes sir this a question from iit jee exam 2015

Related to How to Calculate Work Done by a Gas in Thermodynamics?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work, and how they affect the behavior of matter.

2. What is a problem in thermodynamics?

A problem in thermodynamics is a situation or scenario that requires the application of thermodynamic principles to understand and solve. It can involve topics such as heat transfer, energy conversion, and phase changes.

3. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you must first identify the variables and known information, then select the appropriate equations and principles to use. It is important to properly apply units and pay attention to the direction of heat flow and work.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter in thermodynamic systems. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted; the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time; and the third law, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

5. What are some common applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. Some common applications include power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, chemical reactions, and biological processes such as metabolism and photosynthesis.