How to calculate triac angle to set desired RMS voltage

In summary: Welcome to the PF. :smile:In summary, the author is trying to find a way to calculate triac angle to set desired RMS voltage. They found a formula that uses triac angle and triac angle is in radians. They are also interested in finding a way to calculate desired RMS voltage.
Urrys
Hi,

I would like to implement voltage regulator based on microcontroller + triac.
I am able to calculate source RMS voltage by sampling signal using ADC, but don't know how to calculate triac angle to set desired RMS voltage.
For example i have 250v source RMS voltage and i need to calculate triac angle to set output RMS 100v. Desired voltage might be any thirefore i need some formula to make possible recalculate triac angle in runtime.

I have found formula to calculate RMS by using triac angle:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-from-triac-phase-angle.572668/#post-3737599

But i need to calculate angle by using desired RMS output voltage. The problem that i can not to deduce angle from this formula - angle in sinus argument and also it is outside sinus.

Could you help to make a formula to calculate triac angle by using desired RMS voltage?
Or probably some other method is better to calculate triac angle ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are you going to be driving with this chopped-up waveform? An incandescent light bulb? What is the application?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are you going to be driving with this chopped-up waveform? An incandescent light bulb? What is the application?

I want to create regulator to make possible set light bulb lighting level in percentage (or in voltage).
E.g. Set 30% of lighting, controller should calculate angle and set correct delay to open triac.

Urrys said:
I want to create regulator to make possible set light bulb lighting level in percentage (or in voltage).
E.g. Set 30% of lighting, controller should calculate angle and set correct delay to open triac.

Light bulb voltage, power, and luminosity are not necessarily linearly related, so 30% of what?

Light dimmer circuits are common, but it is unusual to require advance calibration like this.

anorlunda said:
Light bulb voltage, power, and luminosity are not necessarily linearly related, so 30% of what?

30% of source voltage.
Original question was to find out triac angle.

Using the equation linked in #3, I put the following into Wolfram Alpha "solve 0.3=sqrt((2pi-2X+sin(2X))/4pi) for x" and it gives me about 2.7 radians for X. X is triac angle.

Last edited:
Urrys said:
Set 30% of lighting,
As @anorlunda says, 30% of Vrms input does not necessarily mean 30% brightness for the lighting. First of all, is this incandescent or LED or CF or some other type of lighting? Some types of lights are not compatible with triac dimming.

Second, the best way to do this is just to use a simple triac dimmer and measure the fire angles that give you the % brightness that you want. Then make a table with those numbers to put into your control microcontroller (uC). You could make the table have 10% increments, and use the uC to interpolate between those entries for the other % settings, for example.

Creating table this is one of the way. But still I am interested to find formula which can be used to calculate angle, just to find common solution which can be applicable not only for light bulb.

Did you read the thread linked to by @Svein in post #3? :smile:

berkeman said:
Did you read the thread linked to by @Svein in post #3? :smile:

Yes i already mentioned this thread in my first post. There is formula to calculate RMS by using triac angle. But i need to deduce triac angle from this formula. It looks like impossible or hard to simplify this formula to make it like TriacAngle= ...

Urrys said:
Yes i already mentioned this thread in my first post.
Oops, sorry, I missed that.

It looks like you can rearrange that equation into a form similar to x + sin(x) = <a number>

If so, then there are ways to visualize the solution and also solve for it. See for example this:

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.99/grover1.html

Others with more math background can probably be of more help.

Related to How to calculate triac angle to set desired RMS voltage

1. How do I calculate triac angle to set the desired RMS voltage?

To calculate the triac angle for a desired RMS voltage, you can use the following formula: Triac Angle = arccos[(Vdesired/Vpeak) * sqrt(2)], where Vdesired is the desired RMS voltage and Vpeak is the peak voltage of the AC supply. This formula assumes a resistive load and a sinusoidal waveform.

2. What is a triac and how does it control voltage?

A triac is a type of semiconductor device that can be used to control the flow of current in an AC circuit. It acts as a switch that can turn on and off rapidly, allowing only a certain portion of the AC waveform to pass through, thereby controlling the voltage.

3. Can I use a different formula to calculate triac angle for non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Yes, for non-sinusoidal waveforms, the formula for calculating the triac angle will be different and will depend on the specific waveform. It is recommended to consult a reference book or an online resource for the appropriate formula for the specific waveform.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated triac angle?

The accuracy of the calculated triac angle can be affected by several factors such as the load type (resistive or inductive), the shape of the AC waveform, the quality of the triac, and any external noise or interference in the circuit. It is important to consider these factors and make adjustments accordingly for more accurate results.

5. How can I test and adjust the calculated triac angle in a practical circuit?

The best way to test and adjust the calculated triac angle is to use a multimeter to measure the output voltage and make small adjustments to the triac angle until the desired RMS voltage is achieved. It is also important to monitor the waveform using an oscilloscope to ensure it is not distorted. It may take some trial and error to find the optimal triac angle for a specific circuit and load.