How to Calculate Travel Time of an Airplane with Tailwind

In summary, the question asks for the travel time of an airplane flying North at 119.7 m/s with a 46.8 m/s tailwind, to a destination 573 km due North. The attempt at a solution involved adding the two velocities and dividing by the distance, but the student realized their mistake and converted the velocity to km/s before calculating the travel time, which was found to be approximately 1 hour.
black_hole

Homework Statement

An airplane flying North at 119.7 m/s encounters a 46.8 m/s tailwind. If the plane's destination is 573 km due North, what will its travel time be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the two velocities: 166.5 m/s. Then divided that by 573000, but that's not right becasue I get a very small number of seconds. What I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity = Change in position / Change in time

Change in time = Change in position / velocity

I think you were doing velocity / change in position instead.

black_hole said:

Homework Statement

An airplane flying North at 119.7 m/s encounters a 46.8 m/s tailwind. If the plane's destination is 573 km due North, what will its travel time be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the two velocities: 166.5 m/s. Then divided that by 573000, but that's not right becasue I get a very small number of seconds. What I am doing wrong.
your doing your math wrong.
if the plane is going at 166.5 m/s, convert that to km ---->166.5m/s(1km/1000m).
you should get a low number (something like 0.16...), and that's how many km the plane goes in 1 second.
It would also make it easier if you change seconds to hours (multiply by 3600 since there are 3600 seconds per hour), or just keep it as km/seconds if you would rather that.
Anyways, you should get around 599 km/hour, and then you can calculate how much time that it would take if you the distance is 573km, and the plane is going around 599km/hr.check that though, i just did it in my head, so my math could be way off
or i could be completely wrong :redface:

hope that helped

Last edited:

Related to How to Calculate Travel Time of an Airplane with Tailwind

1. What is an airplane vector problem?

An airplane vector problem involves calculating the direction and magnitude of an airplane's movement in relation to the ground. This is important for navigation and flight planning.

2. How do you calculate airplane vectors?

To calculate airplane vectors, you need to use trigonometry and vector addition. You will need to know the airplane's heading (direction) and airspeed, as well as any wind speed and direction.

3. What is the difference between ground speed and airspeed?

Ground speed is the actual speed of the airplane relative to the ground, taking into account the effects of wind. Airspeed is the speed of the airplane relative to the surrounding air. In still air, these two speeds would be the same.

4. Do airplane vectors affect the flight path?

Yes, airplane vectors can greatly affect the flight path of an airplane. For example, strong crosswinds can cause an airplane to drift off course, and the pilot must adjust the heading and airspeed accordingly to maintain the desired flight path.

5. Why are airplane vectors important for pilots?

Airplane vectors are important for pilots because they allow them to accurately navigate and make flight decisions based on the airplane's movement in relation to the ground. They also help pilots plan for weather conditions and adjust for any changes in wind speed or direction during the flight.