How to calculate the water pressure?

In summary, the pipes are horizontal with 3 openings at the end. The water is pumped with 8 bars of pressure and is moving through the pipes. One of the openings is 1 meter above the ground, one is 1 meter below the ground, and the last one is at the same level as the main pipe. The exit pipe diameter does not affect the pressure. To calculate the pressure of these 3 openings, you would need to use equations such as Bernoulli's equation and Stokes' law to determine the pressure at each opening. The height of the pipes above or below the main pipe level would also need to be taken into account.
loy
the pipes is horizontal,there are 3 opennings at the end.the water is pumped with 8 bars , how to calculate the pressure of these 3 openings?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi loy! welcome to pf! :smile:
loy said:
the pipes is horizontal,there are 3 opennings at the end.the water is pumped with 8 bars , how to calculate the pressure of these 3 openings?

is the water moving or stationary?

what do these openings connect to? :confused:

on the information given so far, isn't the pressure 8 bars throughout?

hi,tim~

tiny-tim said:
hi loy! welcome to pf! :smile:

is the water moving or stationary?

what do these openings connect to? :confused:

on the information given so far, isn't the pressure 8 bars throughout?

the water is moving,but i only know the pressure of water pump is 8 bars and the diameter of the pipe which is connected to the pump is 2 and 1/2 inches.
there are 3 pipes connected to the previous pipe,3 of them are 1m long,1 is above the ground(d=1/2 inches) and another 1 is underground(d=1/2inches).the last one(2 and 1/2 inches) is at the same level with the main pipe.
Actually the pressure is exerted by the pump to the water.

hi loy! :wink:

so it's a 2.5 in diameter pipe, connected to two 0.5 in pipes and another 2.5 in pipe?

ok, what do you think the answer is? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi loy! :wink:

so it's a 2.5 in diameter pipe, connected to two 0.5 in pipes and another 2.5 in pipe?

ok, what do you think the answer is? :smile:

yup,you've got it~
erm...sigh...i am sorry ,the main problem is i don't know the answer...
so , i need your help~

loy said:
yup,you've got it~
erm...sigh...i am sorry ,the main problem is i don't know the answer...
so , i need your help~

i'm happy to help :smile:

but we don't just give out the answers here

you must know something about this type of problem …

what equations have you learned?

Exit pipe diameter doesn't matter (assuming you're ignoring pressure drop due to friction and viscosity). Height does matter, but you don't specify the height of the pipe above or the depth of the pipe below.

tiny-tim said:
i'm happy to help :smile:

but we don't just give out the answers here

you must know something about this type of problem …

what equations have you learned?

okay,i have learned some basic theorem(like bernoulli's equation,stokes' law) about the pressure,but i don't know which 1 should be used since i have never met the question which needs to calculate the pressure of fluid with 1 input and 3 outputs.all i know is the dV/dt of input and output are the same.

rcgldr said:
Exit pipe diameter doesn't matter (assuming you're ignoring pressure drop due to friction and viscosity). Height does matter, but you don't specify the height of the pipe above or the depth of the pipe below.

I did.the 3pipes connected to the main pipe are 1-m long ,meaning 1 is 1m(vertical,d=0.5inches) above the level of the main pipe,another 1 is 1m(vertical,d=0.5inches) below the level,the main pipe and the last(1m) are horizontal and d=2.5inches.just like a cross.

Related to How to calculate the water pressure?

1. How do I calculate water pressure?

To calculate water pressure, you will need to know the force exerted by the water and the area over which the force is exerted. The formula for water pressure is P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force, and A is the area. You can measure the force using a force meter and the area using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What units are used to measure water pressure?

Water pressure is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). These units represent the amount of force exerted by the water per unit area.

3. How is water pressure affected by depth?

As depth increases, the weight of the water above exerts more force, resulting in an increase in water pressure. For every 10 meters of depth, water pressure increases by approximately 14.5 psi or 100 kPa.

4. What factors can affect water pressure?

Aside from depth, other factors that can affect water pressure include the rate of flow, the density of the water, and the presence of any obstacles or obstructions in the water flow. Changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure can also have an impact on water pressure.

5. How can I use water pressure calculations in real-life situations?

Understanding how to calculate water pressure can be useful in a variety of situations, such as determining the appropriate water pressure for a plumbing system, designing water distribution systems, and calculating the pressure needed for irrigation systems. It can also be helpful in predicting the behavior of fluids in different scenarios, such as calculating the pressure at the bottom of a swimming pool or in a water tank.